Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

yes

13 Comments
6 Likes
Highlighted
Level 3

Wrong timestamp for videos using the Camera Uploads feature.

Photo filename on my camera's SD card is IMG_2691 dated 16/05/2018 12:17 pm becomes

2018-05-16 12.17.35 on my Camera Uploads folder after importing via dropbox with the same time stamp in Windows Explorer 16/05/2018 12:17 pm ie . All good.

Video filename on my camera's SD card is MVI_2692 dated 16/5/2018 12:17 pm becomes

2018-05-16 11.17.39 with the time stamp in Windows Explorer 17/5/2018 4:28pm. 

Looks like the filename is one hour earlier and the WE timestamp is the time of the import.

How can I fix this?

1 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Re: timestamp for videos

Most likely because the videos don't have any metadata for the date it was taken.

You can see that the photos have the exact same date and time as the 'Date taken' column, so there aren't any differences there.

Since the videos don't have that info, the Dropbox desktop app has to 'guess' the time based on other factors. Could you confirm that the date/time settings are set automatically or manually on both your camera and Windows?

Regardless, we'll look into this matter via email for more info.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

13 Replies
Level 3

I just posted this question and already it says "This topic is closed. Please click here to start a new conversation." Huh???

This conversation is not closed. Looking fwd to getting a reply from someone. Thank you in advance.

Dropboxer

Hey @CBK2018, welcome to our forum! 

Just to clarify, the video’s filename is off by one hour when imported with Camera Uploads? Are you connecting to your Windows computer to import/upload your photos and videos in the same way? What I mean is, is there any difference in the way you upload these files to your Dropbox? 

Let me know. 

As for the “topic closed” message, were working on it upside-down face. Your topic isn’t closed! 

Thanks

Sanchez
Moderator @ Dropbox

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 3

Thanks @Sanchez. My first post!  Hope you can help.

My answers in green:

Just to clarify, the video’s filename is off by one hour when imported with Camera Uploads? Yes Are you connecting to your Windows computer to import/upload your photos and videos in the same way? Yes What I mean is, is there any difference in the way you upload these files to your Dropbox? No. The photo & video files were uploaded at the same time. Both photos & videos taken by my camera.  As an aside, the photos & videos I take on my phone automatically upload to Dropbox's Camera Uploads folder and these videos have the right filename and I assume the correct time stamp too.

As for the “topic closed” message, were working on it . Your topic isn’t closed! Good to know. Thanks.
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional details here CBK2018!

If I had just one shot in the dark, I’d say that maybe it’s a daylight savings time setting (meaning locally on your pc) that modifies the timestamps in your Windows Explorer.  

At this point, I’d just like to ask you just two very quick additional questions that would help us further narrow down the possible causes: 

• Can you replicate the behavior outside the Dropbox folder when importing your photos from your SD card to your pc? 
  • Are you by any chance using any third-party applications when importing your pics to your pc, that may be slightly modifying your photos in the background? 
Once we have this info, we’d happily check back with you & further advise on the issue with Sanchez

Jane

Level 3

HI Jane,

I know what you mean about the one hour difference for daylight saving but is is not that because we finished daylight saving in March and we are well on our way to winter.  Also in the same upload were photos. The photos were uploaded fine but not the videos. 

Your questions

#1 Can you replicate the behavior outside the Dropbox folder when importing your photos from your SD card to your pc? 

Do you mean can I create the same problem not using Dropbox?  I don't think so.

I can upload my photo & video files from my SD card in 2 ways

A) Let Dropbox do the uploading ie Dropbox copies the files from SD Card and puts them in the Dropbox\Camera Uploads folder but changes the original file name eg: IMG_222.jpg to the taken time stamp is 2018-05-23 hh.mm.ss.jpg.  All good except the video files' taken timestamp filename is incorrect.

B) I manually copy from the SD Card to paste in a folder on my laptop.  No change in filename or anything else.

Have I answered your question?

#2  Are you by any chance using any third-party applications when importing your pics to your pc, that may be slightly modifying your photos in the background? No. I only use Dropbox or else plain old copy & paste.

Level 3

Hi @Jane & @Sanchez

I have 17 files on my SD Card. 3 videos and 14 photos.

See attached photos/screenshots of the files on the SD Card

- sorted by Date

- then sorted by Date modified

See attached photos/screenshots of the files in the folder CameraUploads uploaded by Dropbox

- sorted by Date

- then sorted by Date modified

Can you see the difference? Can you see the issue?

The photos have uploaded as expected but the video files x3 have not ie filename out by one hour

But even more the meta data for the file eg: Date created and Date modified have not copied across.Camera Uploads-Date modified-201805.pngCamera Uploads-Date-201805.pngSD Card-Date modified-201805.pngSD Card-Date-201805.png

Dropboxer

Hey CBK2018, I appreciate your prompt reply here & thanks for the detailed message with the screenshots recreating the behavior! 

As I’d need to have a closer look on a specific example, I’d suggest continuing this discussion via email & for that reason I’ve made sure to create a Support Request on our system on your behalf (gathering all info you’ve sent me here), so as to focus on the issue in question based on the info I have on my tools for your account & move forward together. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you from where we’ve left off here. 

Thanks again & I’ll be awaiting your next email, so as to move forward on the matter together!

Jane

Level 3

HI @Jane,

I am OK to continue this conversation off line by email.

Happy to answer any questions that may help toward a resolution to this issue.

Look fwd to getting your email.

Cheers-CBK*

Level 3

HI @Jane

I remember replying to your this message before but it doesn't seem to be here so I'll reply again.

My replies in Green.

If I had just one shot in the dark, I’d say that maybe it’s a daylight savings time setting (meaninglocally on your pc) that modifies the timestamps in your Windows Explorer.  No cos we are no longer in daylight saving time. Also photo files were uploaded at the same time as the video files and they had the correct timestamp on them.

At this point, I’d just like to ask you just two very quick additional questions that would help us further narrow down the possible causes: 

• Can you replicate the behavior outside the Dropbox folder when importing your photos from your SD card to your pc? By replicate you mean re-create the problem another way? No I can't. I have not tried as it is not a 'bahviour' I want. I also dont know another way to do it. The only other way I know is to copy from SD Card and paste on my PC.  I get exactly what is on my SD Card including the IMG_nnnn file names.
  • Are you by any chance using any third-party applications when importing your pics to your pc, that may be slightly modifying your photos in the background? No I am not. Just leaving it to Dropbox to do.
Photos and videos

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Photos and Videos.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post