cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I preview an .exe file on the Dropbox website?

Can I preview an .exe file on the Dropbox website?

jcummins
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I created a "Flip Book" using the Flip PDF software application.  The created Flip Book is an .exe file.  I would like for my friends to see the Flip Book but have been unable to find a host site that will do so.  I thought Dropbox would be my answer but found out today Dropbox does not support an .exe file.  Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.  Thanking you in advance. 

John

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

You won't find a site that supports viewing an .EXE file online. That's an executable file that needs to be downloaded and run on the local computer. Also, it will likely be limited to Windows computers only.

In order to host something like that online, and make it as compatible as possible, you'll want to find a web-based format.

View solution in original post

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
@Rich is spot on. A .exe isn't a previewable format. it requires Windows to 'EXEcute' the program to run it. It's a little unusual for the program to output a file in such a format in my experience.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

You won't find a site that supports viewing an .EXE file online. That's an executable file that needs to be downloaded and run on the local computer. Also, it will likely be limited to Windows computers only.

In order to host something like that online, and make it as compatible as possible, you'll want to find a web-based format.

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
@Rich is spot on. A .exe isn't a previewable format. it requires Windows to 'EXEcute' the program to run it. It's a little unusual for the program to output a file in such a format in my experience.

jpcummins
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Thanks very much for replying to my question. I understand and appreciate your answer.

John

jpcummins
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

The Flip PDF Software does publish the book with different extensions. Will try again. Thanks so much for replying.

John

[This thread is now closed due to inactivity. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jpcummins Explorer | Level 3
    Ross_S Dropbox Staff
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?