In need of some #MondayMotivation? Read more

force close on mobile

SOLVED
14 Comments
6 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3

force close on mobile

A while ago i was having techinal difficulties with my phone and i decided to delete all the apps. one od the apps was dropbox . but for some reason it would not delete/unistall. so i had to go to my settings and force close. a year laterr i decide to re-open dropbox and all my photos were gone except for three music files. i have no clue what to do. did they delete becuase of the force close or was it the update that dropbox did a year later? 

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Super User II

Re: force close on mobile

If they were deleted within 30 days you can follow https://www.dropbox.com/help/security/recover-deleted-files-folders.

If it was over 30 days and you did not, at the time of deletion, have Extended Version History I'm afraid they are unrecoverable.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

14 Replies
Super User II

Neither should have done that, the force close does just that - force close.

The only way any would have been lost is if they'd not yet uploaded and were busy uploading when the app was closed and removed?

What is www.dropbox.com/events showing?

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 3

Yes they are there and appear as deleted how do I recover them
Solution
Super User II

If they were deleted within 30 days you can follow https://www.dropbox.com/help/security/recover-deleted-files-folders.

If it was over 30 days and you did not, at the time of deletion, have Extended Version History I'm afraid they are unrecoverable.

Level 3

So there's nothing I can do ?
Because they are in events and I see 3,745 photos .
Super User II

Events always records what happens - regardless of if they are recoverable or not.

If you are only just over 30 days (i.e. within a day or so) you can try logging a ticket at www.dropbox.com/support and ask for help, if you are much over that you can still try but they have publically stated before that its not possible to recover them (after all it is a paid service to keep them for longer).

Once a ticket is logged you can track it at http://dropbox.zendesk.com

Level 3

Ok so say I let my mom use my account on her phone and use my account on my phone . The photos mix up right ?
Super User II

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything? Sorry, you need to give us more details.

Ultimately, however, regardless of what has happened if the photos were deleted over 30 days ago they are unrecoverable.

Level 3

The photos were never deleted all I did was force close the Dropbox app
Super User II

But, as you said they are showing as deleted on the events list. So something or someone HAS deleted them. Either via an app on a different mobile device (your mams maybe), the website or any linked computers.

Dropbox can only delete them when it is told to do so - force closing the app cannot and would not do that. Note if you are using unofficial Dropbox apps (Samsung Connect maybe) then other things can cause deletions to Dropbox, but, force closing it isnt one.

So, as I said previously. If it is within 30 days you can recover them. If its over that they are now unrecoverable I'm afraid.