Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do i transfer photos and videos from dropbox to an external harddrive

SOLVED
3 Comments
0 Kudos
Level 2

how do i transfer photos and videos from dropbox to an external harddrive

how do i transfer photos and videos from dropbox to an external harddrive i feel like dropbox has my photos and i cannot access them to store elsewhere now
1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Dropboxer

Re: how do i transfer photos and videos from dropbox to an external harddrive

Hey stella1

Happy to welcome you on the Dropbox community and reply to your query!

Please note that the Dropbox folder is just like any other folder on your computer and you could move files by copying and pasting them to a new location. If you'd like to delete them, you can drag and drop them from the Dropbox folder to your external hard disc drive. The latter is perceived by Dropox as a deletion, so these files will not appear on your account online from this point onwards. 

Hope that this helps you clarify the matter. Just let me know if you need additional details about it. 

Kind regards, 
JaneA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Accept as Solution White check mark if this post answers your question!
Kudos relieved face are always appreciated!! Rainbow

3 Replies
Solution
Dropboxer

Hey stella1

Happy to welcome you on the Dropbox community and reply to your query!

Please note that the Dropbox folder is just like any other folder on your computer and you could move files by copying and pasting them to a new location. If you'd like to delete them, you can drag and drop them from the Dropbox folder to your external hard disc drive. The latter is perceived by Dropox as a deletion, so these files will not appear on your account online from this point onwards. 

Hope that this helps you clarify the matter. Just let me know if you need additional details about it. 

Kind regards, 
JaneA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Accept as Solution White check mark if this post answers your question!
Kudos relieved face are always appreciated!! Rainbow

Level 2

I have folders containing thousands of pictures and videos in my Dropbox account online, though not in my Desktop Dropbox folder. I would like to be able to download whole folders at a time from my online account (again, not in my Dropbox harddrive folder) to an external drive. Can I do that? 

From your answer to stella1, JaneA, it sounds like the only way to transfer files out of Dropbox into another folder or drive is to manually drag and drop one file at a time. I have tried to drag and drop both folders and files from online to my external hard folder. All I get in this case is a web location file. In trying to download directly to the external drive, I get unspecified files that won't open on my Mac as the developer is not recognized.

So, I am lost - do I really have to drag and drop each file individually to move them from the cloud (not the local Dropbox folder) to an external drive?

Super User II

Keith P.7 wrote:

In trying to download directly to the external drive, I get unspecified files that won't open on my Mac as the developer is not recognized.

You can download whole folders, but you're limited to folders less than 1GB in size and containing fewer than 10,000 files. The download will actually be a compressed (Zipped) file of the folder that you would need to extract on your computer. Folders above either of those limits will result in the unspecific file.

The better solution is to allow those folders to sync to your computer, and then copy them to your external drive. When the copy is complete, you can use Selectice Sync to again remove the local copy of the folders from your Dropbox folder.