cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5S, camera uploads folder and wierd dates!

SOLVED
7 Comments
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2

iPhone 5S, camera uploads folder and wierd dates!

Hi Everyone

This has been frustrating me for months, hopefully someone can provide an answer...

All I want, and what I always had before, is when I plug my iphone (5S, all up to date) into my computer (mac, again all up to date) that it uploads all photos and videos automativally into my dropbox > camera uploads folder

Simple!

However, in September this year, it stopped working completely.

I've tried restoring everything, re-installing everything, signing in and out of everything, but, before I end up losing a lot of precious photos of my kids, I've decided today to sort it out.

What I have noticed, which may explain a lot, is that after that date, the iphone has changed the naming convention of images - images used to be, for example named (automativally by the phone) "2016-09-21 20.47.00.jpg" but are now named differently - eg "Photo 28-10-2016, 4 00 09 pm.jpg" - as you will see, it has put the word photo in front of the date, added a comma, and has no full stops/periods between the date, and has added am/pm as appropriate.

So, my questions are...

Is it the change in the phone naming convention (which must have came from ios 10, released around this time)?

If so, why are lots of other people not having the same problem?

If it's not inherent in ios 10 how do I change this back to normal?

If it is a new thing in ios 10, is dropbox not updated to recognise it?

Help?!?

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Super User II

Re: iPhone 5S, camera uploads folder and wierd dates!

nidgemo wrote:

Is it the change in the phone naming convention (which must have came from ios 10, released around this time)?

That naming convention, Photo 28-10-2016, 4 00 09 pm.jpg, is neither from Dropbox nor from iOS 10. Dropbox continues to use a purely date and time naming convention (without the word Photo in it), and iOS 10 continues to use IMG_####.JPG. Something else is likely causing the photos to be named in that manner.

If you have any other applications that are capable of importing photos, they could be overriding the import process from Dropbox. I fyo uhave such applications, make sure their import process is disabled.

And it might be worth reviewing the following help article:

7 Replies
Solution
Super User II

nidgemo wrote:

That naming convention, Photo 28-10-2016, 4 00 09 pm.jpg, is neither from Dropbox nor from iOS 10. Dropbox continues to use a purely date and time naming convention (without the word Photo in it), and iOS 10 continues to use IMG_####.JPG. Something else is likely causing the photos to be named in that manner.

If you have any other applications that are capable of importing photos, they could be overriding the import process from Dropbox. I fyo uhave such applications, make sure their import process is disabled.

And it might be worth reviewing the following help article:

Level 2

Not sure who accepted this as a soloution, but it makes no difference and provides no answer to the problem...

I have checked a little further, and, as Rich has said, the phone actually names images, in their original form, with "IMG_ followed by a simple series of sequential 4 digit numbers (I can confirm my phone is naming them like this)

This in itself leads to two questions - why have the photos always been going into my dropbox with a date and time filename, what is generating this filename, and why has it changed...

and, most of all, why is dropbox saying there are no new photos on my phone since september?

All help appreciated!

Super User II

nidgemo wrote:

why have the photos always been going into my dropbox with a date and time filename, what is generating this filename, and why has it changed...

Dropbox has always renamed photos that are uploaded though the Camera Upload process to a date and time file name. This has not changed. This name does not include the word "Photos" as you indicated above. Because you're seeing files renamed to "Photo 28-10-2016, 4 00 09 pm.jpg", it's likely another app or process that is doing this.

and, most of all, why is dropbox saying there are no new photos on my phone since september?

More than likely because another process is handling the import of your photos now, as evidenced by the new naming convention that you're seeing.

Level 2

Hi Rich - this is what is strange - nothing else is handling upload of my photos though - it's just all of a sudden dropbox won't even recognise there are new potos there - and, as we now know, the naming convention of ios hasn't changed.

Super User II

According to what you posted above, something HAS changed your naming convention. You mentioned that "Photo 28-10-2016, 4 00 09 pm.jpg" was the new naming convention you were seeing. Where exactly are you seeing that?

Level 2

That's a very good question! There are a few more recent photos in my camera uploads folders with that naming on them, but how they got there I can't recall! I THINK I forced a download from the phone in some way, and, as you say, that may explain the naming.

That being the case, and if we ignore that, the question remains - any idea why dropbox is still not recognising there being new photos? I've even checked the meta data on the native images in the phone (using investigator) and the times and dates are all correct (I had guessed perhaps the dates were saving wrong so dropbox wasn't recognising them as "new")

Level 2

I Phone 5s Whatsapp