Did you mean: 

iPhone 6S Live Photos

27 Comments
93 Kudos
Level 1

Re: iPhone 6S Live Photos

I received the following reaction when writing to Dropbox directly:

"Hi Michael,

Thanks for writing back! I understand that you wrote in inquiring about Live Photos to which we replied that we would document that inquiry as feedback.

We cannot verify at this moment whether we intend to implement this feature or not; however, your inquiry does further address that issue.

If there is anything else I can do to be of service, please reach back out to me and I will be more than happy to assist.

Regards,
Ralph"

Sounds to me like Dropbox is not going to support Live Photos any time soon. Not sure why they have decide this way, but I guess I will move to iCloud Drive in the coming days...

Level 2
Highlighted
Level 2

I think this is something that really needs added sooner rather than later before everyone leaves! It is really a feature that should have been rolled out when the 6S was released, at the minute it's continue to lose DB Pro and keep icloud photos or upload to DB Pro and lose the live photos, what's the point of either!

Level 1

Dear Dropbox... I'm really getting sick of paying Apple every month for iCloud just so my live photos can be backed up. Please provide some input to the community.

Thanks!

Level 5

Still, LivePhotos are not supported. The solution would be sooooo easy:

Most apps (like the powerful PhotoSync) upload LivePhotos as they were served from iOS: as two files, a .jpg and a .mov, both sharing the same filename (exept extension/type).

A simple solution would be: If a .jpg and a .mov share the same filename and reside in the same directory, the Dropbox app (or any other viewer app) should treat the .mov as a LivePhoto supplement of the .jpg.

This simple behaviour could be build into the app and be treated locally on the device. No need to change the server behaviour. Any app programmer could do this easily. Why don't Dropbox?

Level 2

It's almost a year since iOS 9 was released with live photo support for the 6s.  Can not one of the largest online storage providers commit resources to add this feature? It's disappointing to say the least. 

Level 1

I agree with Ron V., just before me. iOS 10 is going to be released next week. Apple introduced live photos a year ago. Dropbox has tried to position itself as a repository for our photos, ie our memories, and had even offered a dedicated app just for that task (remember Carousel?).

I can see how a small startup would struggle to support many features at once, and lag behind when something like Live Photos comes along. For a player the size of Dropbox, however, this is nothing short of embarrassing.

Level 5

It looks like this may be the thing to get me to move to Google Photos. And as Peter R. mentions, this is an eeeaassssyyy featuret to add.

Level 2

Hey guys, I just emailed support and they confirmed that this feature is "in development" I pressed for more but that's all he could tell me. Keep holding their feet to the fire and contacting them about it and it will get here eventually. 

Level 2

Dropbox, it's just pathetic. I've moved to iphone recently and love the live photos feature of it. Paid for the annual subscription recently and now regretting it. Will move to Google Drive/Photos soon if it's not supported in the coming months.