In need of some #MondayMotivation? Read more

iPhone Camera Upload on Mac not retrieving live photos

SOLVED
4 Comments
1 Kudo
Highlighted
Level 6

iPhone Camera Upload on Mac not retrieving live photos

I noticed last year around november that when I plugged my iPhone into my mac it no longer transfered the movie part of live photos any more. It was previously creating both jpg and .mov files for each live photo. This issue only occours for live photos, if i take a normal video on my phone this transfers as before.

However when i plug my iPhone into my PC (windows 10) the camera upload feature manages to transfer the video files, even adding in any missing video files, from when i have previously plugged in my phone to my mac. 

All versions of dropbox are up to date 

It would be good to have all parts of the live photo transfer as part of the camera upload feature when using it on my mac

2 Accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Dropboxer

Re: iPhone Camera Upload on Mac not retrieving live photos

Hey @Harshhira

Hmm… this is weird. I’d like to get this issue into our support system for further investigation. Would you mind submitting a support ticket here so an agent can take a closer look with you? If they can’t resolve it, they’ll be able to shoot it over to our developers for review. 

In the meantime, let’s see if any other users chime in here with suggestions or a solution winking face

Thanks, and have a great weekend smiling face with sunglasses

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
slightly smiling face

Solution
Level 6

FYI for anyone else finding this.

I raised a ticket and got some responses unfortunately it seems that the ability to sync the video parts of live photos from an iPhone using the camera import feature on dropbox for PC or Mac is not supported. My ability to do so on my PC may be caused by other software. I am not sure why it used to work on my mac (may have been broken by the upgrade to MacOS Sierra or updating my iPhone to iOS 10.

Here is the response I got from support after trying to clarify:

"Live Photos is an Apple feature that generates a file format that Dropbox is not prepared to recognize a video or photo in your camera roll on your device. If at any point this worked on your Mac, it is possible that your laptop was providing the formating info to Dropbox to be able to upload these files as both a jpg and a .mov file.

As for why this is working for you on your Windows computer, it is possible that there is an app installed that is managing to provide the missing information to Dropbox to see these files as video a photo.

Once more, in no case is this something that Dropbox supports directly and as such the only way for these files to be added to your account would be manually upload them.

I'm very sorry that I can't be any more helpful on this case. I have passed your feedback to the corresponding department for evaluation for possible future feature implementations."

4 Replies
Solution
Dropboxer

Hey @Harshhira

Hmm… this is weird. I’d like to get this issue into our support system for further investigation. Would you mind submitting a support ticket here so an agent can take a closer look with you? If they can’t resolve it, they’ll be able to shoot it over to our developers for review. 

In the meantime, let’s see if any other users chime in here with suggestions or a solution winking face

Thanks, and have a great weekend smiling face with sunglasses

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
slightly smiling face

Level 6

Thanks Sanchez, I have raised a ticket as suggested slightly smiling face

Dropboxer

Thanks, @Harshhira! Have a good one winking face

slightly smiling face

Solution
Level 6

FYI for anyone else finding this.

I raised a ticket and got some responses unfortunately it seems that the ability to sync the video parts of live photos from an iPhone using the camera import feature on dropbox for PC or Mac is not supported. My ability to do so on my PC may be caused by other software. I am not sure why it used to work on my mac (may have been broken by the upgrade to MacOS Sierra or updating my iPhone to iOS 10.

Here is the response I got from support after trying to clarify:

"Live Photos is an Apple feature that generates a file format that Dropbox is not prepared to recognize a video or photo in your camera roll on your device. If at any point this worked on your Mac, it is possible that your laptop was providing the formating info to Dropbox to be able to upload these files as both a jpg and a .mov file.

As for why this is working for you on your Windows computer, it is possible that there is an app installed that is managing to provide the missing information to Dropbox to see these files as video a photo.

Once more, in no case is this something that Dropbox supports directly and as such the only way for these files to be added to your account would be manually upload them.

I'm very sorry that I can't be any more helpful on this case. I have passed your feedback to the corresponding department for evaluation for possible future feature implementations."