cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.mov files not playing on my mac

.mov files not playing on my mac

tobytobywan
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi

I have a Macbook Pro operating on OS X El Capitan. I have noticed that all my .mov files I have taken on my iphone (X and 7) from about mid last year to now do not play on my Mac.

Quickplayer states that the files cannot be played and iMovies will not allow me to select these files as they are greyed out.

My Dropbox is upto date to the latest verion as I have it set on automatic update.

The issue only occurs on files I have synced to my dropbox account as I can airdrop them from my phone (by passing Dropbox) and they play on my machine file.

Please help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the additional information @tobytobywan - much appreciated.

Are you running the desktop application (stating "Up to date" that indicates you're fully synced) at the moment?

As you're able to preview those files in our website, I guess that you're missing a codec in your computer (essential for this type of files) and that's why you're getting this error message. Have you tried another application to open those files or better yet contact QuickTime directly as the error you get is coming from their app and not Dropbox whatsoever? 

Keep me posted on your findings please and happy Monday!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @tobytobywan - sorry to hear about this; let's have a look into this.

First off all, could you send me a screenshot of the problem so I can investigate further?

Also, are you able to preview those files in the website

Last but not least, can you look at the Dropbox icon in your menu bar and see if it is done syncing. When Dropbox is fully synced then you should see a tick followed by the words “Up to date” on the menu. If you don't see this, could you tell me what it reads? 

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

tobytobywan
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Walter

Please see attached screen shots. You will see that there are now no thumbnails on the .mov files and when I click I get the message on the other scree shot.

I can preview the files on the website. It's the files on my mac that are synced with my Dropbox account that are the problem.

Finally, yes all syncing had been completed with the words "up to date" displayed.

ThanksScreen Shot 2018-10-14 at 13.51.32.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-14 at 13.51.16.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the additional information @tobytobywan - much appreciated.

Are you running the desktop application (stating "Up to date" that indicates you're fully synced) at the moment?

As you're able to preview those files in our website, I guess that you're missing a codec in your computer (essential for this type of files) and that's why you're getting this error message. Have you tried another application to open those files or better yet contact QuickTime directly as the error you get is coming from their app and not Dropbox whatsoever? 

Keep me posted on your findings please and happy Monday!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

mattypoo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Did you figure out a fix for this? I am having the same issue.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @mattypoo  - how are you today?

Have you, by any chance, tried another software to open the files you're trying to access when you get this error? 

While you're at it, could you let me know your desktop app's exact status? Is it 'up to date' or still syncing?

If you're still getting the same error, could you forward me a screenshot to make sure we're on the same page? 

Thanks!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    mattypoo New member | Level 2
    tobytobywan Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?