Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

saving pdf with videos

Level 5

When I save a pdf file with video to Dropbox, the file opens, but the video is inactive. How do I save the file so the video is active?

Tags (1)
4 Replies

Re: saving pdf with videos

Dropboxer

Hey there Jake - how are you today?

Could you please elaborate on this or share a screenshot so I can get a visual of the matter at hand too? 

If you're referring to the file's preview on our website at https://www.dropbox.com could you try downloading and opening it locally on your device? Does the issue persist there? 

Any additional information will be much appreciated!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 5

Walter, I am not able to provide an attachment/screenshot to my reply because, I am told, I have not signed in. But I see no way to sign in from this point!

Anyway, my example is this... I opened a webpage with an interesting recipe and clicked on Reader View to enlarge it and get rid of the ads. I like the recipe, so "printed" it as a pdf that opened in (Apple) Preview. There was an included how to video that worked in Preview/pdf. I save the file to Dropbox for future access acrosso my devices. Problem is I cannot activate the the included video. 

I'll send this without the screenshot and try to send another reply with it attached.

Thanks.

Super User II

Hi Jake, 

That isnt a Dropbox issue I'm afraid thats by design. You 'saved' the web page to a PDF which means it becomes 'flat' and no longer a web page - its a document. Think of it as if you printed the file with a printer (as thats pretty much what you've done, except you've saved the print out on your machine). It wouldnt play the video on the paper - but you'd still see it. Its exactly the same here.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 5

Walter, you are right. I mistakenly played the video in Preview, thinking I had first saved it to another file, like Dropbox. I had not.

Photos and videos

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

saving pdf with videos
4 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post