cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-upload of files from SD card I link to my computer.

Auto-upload of files from SD card I link to my computer.

Digitalscrapper
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When I put my SD card into my computer, Dropbox automatically uploads the files onto the computer. How do I stop this from happening? I want to determine whether or not the files will be uploaded. 

In addition, when Dropbox uploads the photo files to the computer, it changes the name of the file from IMG_xxxx to the date and time the photo was taken. This is totally unacceptable in my opinion.

1. How do I prevent this from happening in the first place?

2. How do I change the file names back to what they were originally??

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I am ready to delete the program!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Digitalscrapper - sorry to hear you're having issues with our automatic camera uploads feature.

At first, you can disable the camera uploads feature by following the steps outlined in this Help Center article: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/photos/camera-uploads-overview 

As for the renaming of your files, you'll need to do it manually at this point as there's no way for us to rename your files in bulk for you and the format of the filanames you mentioned is the default one when utilizing our camera uploads feature. To preserve their filenames you'd need to import them to your computer first and then manually upload them to your Dropbox account (by moving or copying them inside your Dropbox Folder). 

I hope this clears things up and I'm always a post away should you have any more questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Digitalscrapper - sorry to hear you're having issues with our automatic camera uploads feature.

At first, you can disable the camera uploads feature by following the steps outlined in this Help Center article: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/photos/camera-uploads-overview 

As for the renaming of your files, you'll need to do it manually at this point as there's no way for us to rename your files in bulk for you and the format of the filanames you mentioned is the default one when utilizing our camera uploads feature. To preserve their filenames you'd need to import them to your computer first and then manually upload them to your Dropbox account (by moving or copying them inside your Dropbox Folder). 

I hope this clears things up and I'm always a post away should you have any more questions. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Digitalscrapper
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When I insert my SD card into my computer, the image files automatically upload to Dropbox. I have not found anywhere that I can prevent this from happening automatically. I want to determine where the files go.  I saw something in the community that you can shut this off but have not yet found this option when I sign into Dropbox. 

Also, when the image files are uploaded, the file names are changed from IMG_xxxx to the date and time the photo was taken. This is totally unacceptable to me!!!! I track my photos by the IMG_xxxx names.  How can I change the names back to the original file name? It makes no sense to me that Dropbox would change the file names. I am truly ready to delete Dropbox and select another app due to this. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Digitalscrapper - how  are you today?

I've just moved your post under your original inquiry to keep things neat around our Community and have all the relevant information under the same place.

Have you been able to check any of my suggestions (posted above)? 

Let me know here when you get the chance and we'll take it from there.

Thanks in advance and have a lovely weekend until we speak again. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Digitalscrapper
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello Walter, 

Thank you for your response. I was finally able to find the place to set my preferences and have them now set so auto-upload does not occur. 

Disappointed/frustrated that I will need to rename all of my files. It will be time-consuming but will do so. I would strongly encourage you to not change the file names.  Maybe this could be a preference setting where we could choose if we want to leave them as is or have them changed. 

Another suggestion is that when an SD card is inserted or a phone is attached, the default action is to ask where the files are to be uploaded rather than automatically uploading them to Dropbox. 

I do want to make sure I understand one of your comments. You said to preserve the file names, the files would need to be uploaded to the computer then uploaded to Dropbox. The was not possible with the preferences that are preset when you download the app. I presume that now that my preferences have been set, the autoloading will no longer occur. 

My 3rd suggestion is that there are better instructions when the app is downloaded. Maybe before the app can be used, the individual would need to set their preferences first. 

Thanks again for your prompt reply. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Digitalscrapper New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?