cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Delete files from dropbox ONLY

Delete files from dropbox ONLY

eddieray724
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When I attempt to delete a file from dropbox, it wants to know if I want to delete everywhere, or look at the sync options, or cancel the delete request. I just want it out of dropbox. I want it to stay everywhere else. Is the technology available to do that?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

tmhlee
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Glad you resolved it...but with what you’re describing, I would personally just double check!! Because it sounds like if you were syncing your devices (making sure Dropbox is on and updated), and if you deleted something inside a folder that within a shared Dropbox folder, in principle if you ‘delete it everywhere’ that file should not show up on any of the devices that are syncing with that folder.  

You need to have a copy of that file saved in another location outside of the Dropbox folder. If you have the file saved in another spot, then yes, Dropbox will not delete that file outside of a Dropbox folder or sub-folder!

Edit: Also if your laptop (the source of the file) is no longer using Dropbox or that particular folder is no longer syncing with Dropbox, then the files will also not be altered or deleted if you delete them from another device.  

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

tmhlee
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Hi Eddieray, 

One way around this is to copy the files and folders you want, and paste them (i.e. save a copy of the files) in a new folder outside of the dropbox directory on your physical machine or device. 

The reason dropbox is prompting this option is that if you delete the files from your dropbox folder (or sub folder), it will impact any other users or computers that are syncing those folders.  If you are okay with the files being deleted from dropbox for all devices, you can say 'delete it everywhere'.  (Deleting it everywhere won't impact your other files that you haven't deleted)

Hope this helps

eddieray724
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Does "all devices" include the laptop that was the source of the file I uploaded to dropbox? I don't want dropbox to do anything to the files on my laptop.

eddieray724
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Nevermind. I tried this with a dummy file. "Delete everywhere", as scary as it sounds, doesn't mean delete the file everywhere it exists. 

tmhlee
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Glad you resolved it...but with what you’re describing, I would personally just double check!! Because it sounds like if you were syncing your devices (making sure Dropbox is on and updated), and if you deleted something inside a folder that within a shared Dropbox folder, in principle if you ‘delete it everywhere’ that file should not show up on any of the devices that are syncing with that folder.  

You need to have a copy of that file saved in another location outside of the Dropbox folder. If you have the file saved in another spot, then yes, Dropbox will not delete that file outside of a Dropbox folder or sub-folder!

Edit: Also if your laptop (the source of the file) is no longer using Dropbox or that particular folder is no longer syncing with Dropbox, then the files will also not be altered or deleted if you delete them from another device.  

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?