cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easy way to filter starred photos

Easy way to filter starred photos

jv18
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a ton of photos that I've gone through one by one and starred the ones I want to be able to move into a separate folder.  I now think that the "starring" exercise was useless.  How do I find a way to select these starred photos easily to get them into a place where they can be printed?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey jv18, thanks for posting us on our Community & sorry to hear that you haven’t been able to move your photos the way you intended to. Let me follow-up with you a bit more closely & we’ll take it from there! 

(Note: I've moved both threads you've posted on this discussion, so as to keep things neat on our Forum.)

As an initial point of reference, please note that starring a file, or folder adds a direct link to it on the Starred widget on the Dropbox Home page (on dropbox.com) & the Home tab (in the Dropbox mobile apps). While you can print them through the Starred items on your Homepage if you select each photo separately, it's my understanding that you'd prefer organizing your content in a folder before printing, is that right? 

For that reason you may keep in mind that you will not be able to move your files to a different folder directly from your Starred items. Your best option at the moment would be to go back to the original file location >multi-select the files you’d like to move & use the website’s :right_arrow: :white_large_square: Move option, so as to get your photos in a new folder, navigate to the ones you’d like to print & use the :printer:️ choice. (Tip: In case you'd like to print your pictures in full resolution, it would be best for you to print them from your desktop- i.e. if you're using our desktop app- or download them locally & then print them.)

Other than that, I appreciate the time to share your interest on this functionality with us here. I’ve already made sure to add your voice to the feedback gathered internally for future reference. Your comments are extremely valuable as we're always looking for ways to improve & your posts here help us better understand your needs. 

I hope that this points you towards the right direction, though please do let me know here in case you’d like more details about any of the above. Thanks & I hope you have a wonderful week ahead!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

23 Replies 23

jv18
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I need to print photos in high quality format.  They are wedding photos.  Can someone help me find a FAST and HIGH quality solution?  I need them ASAP!

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey jv18, thanks for posting us on our Community & sorry to hear that you haven’t been able to move your photos the way you intended to. Let me follow-up with you a bit more closely & we’ll take it from there! 

(Note: I've moved both threads you've posted on this discussion, so as to keep things neat on our Forum.)

As an initial point of reference, please note that starring a file, or folder adds a direct link to it on the Starred widget on the Dropbox Home page (on dropbox.com) & the Home tab (in the Dropbox mobile apps). While you can print them through the Starred items on your Homepage if you select each photo separately, it's my understanding that you'd prefer organizing your content in a folder before printing, is that right? 

For that reason you may keep in mind that you will not be able to move your files to a different folder directly from your Starred items. Your best option at the moment would be to go back to the original file location >multi-select the files you’d like to move & use the website’s :right_arrow: :white_large_square: Move option, so as to get your photos in a new folder, navigate to the ones you’d like to print & use the :printer:️ choice. (Tip: In case you'd like to print your pictures in full resolution, it would be best for you to print them from your desktop- i.e. if you're using our desktop app- or download them locally & then print them.)

Other than that, I appreciate the time to share your interest on this functionality with us here. I’ve already made sure to add your voice to the feedback gathered internally for future reference. Your comments are extremely valuable as we're always looking for ways to improve & your posts here help us better understand your needs. 

I hope that this points you towards the right direction, though please do let me know here in case you’d like more details about any of the above. Thanks & I hope you have a wonderful week ahead!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

AndersAxelsson
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

There is no tumbnail in the home starred widget making it very hard to identify pictures. Is there a starred filter that could be used in combination with searches?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@AndersAxelsson wrote:

Is there a starred filter that could be used in combination with searches?

No, there isn't.

dmudd91
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Horrible design... still... and its 2019.  There is 0 point of this feature if they dont get moved to a starred folder.  This feature should not be a thing if it is not useable as a way to organize files.  All this does is confuse people becuase in every other place we have the ability to star or favorite,  files/photos, it adds them to a new folder allowing quick and easy organization.  This feature does nothing of the sort. Dropbox is file management, not a homepage. 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @dmudd91, thanks for taking the time to detail us how you'd like to group starred items in your account! Your honest feedback is indeed appreciated; positive or negative, everything you're sending us over helps us better understand your needs. As our team is always looking for ways to improve, I’ll make sure your feedback is passed along to them.

Please feel free to ping us back in case you have any further inquiries; our Community Wall is always open to your feedback or questions! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

tlaw12
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Agreed with the previous posters. Not being able to use "Starring" as means for filters makes the feature essentially useless. Do better Dropbox.

StudioCity
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

So true.

Willem_Hejister
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When can we expect an update from Dropbox to be able to sort or filter on starred items? I would say that creating a folder where the starred photo's are automatically moved to is the ideal situation for me. I starred all photo's (400+) of my building project and want to make an Photobook out of it.

Regards Willem

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sherri-Ann New member | Level 2
    Susen New member | Level 2
    Daniel M.36 New member | Level 2
    almbka New member | Level 2
    atlowry New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?