cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I find the total number of files in a folder?

How can I find the total number of files in a folder?

rotzooi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Boy, am I disappointed with Dropbox. I assumed that each folder would display the number of files in that folder, without me jumping through all kinds of hoops. This seems not to be the case, however... 

Did anyone come up with a nifty solution to this problem?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Are you referring to the Dropbox website or the folder on your computer. If it's the folder, use the features of your opreating system for that. If it's the Dropbox website, select all the files in the folder and the count will be shown in the upper right.

59cd5743b55e5ef776982d92109d631e.png

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Are you referring to the Dropbox website or the folder on your computer. If it's the folder, use the features of your opreating system for that. If it's the Dropbox website, select all the files in the folder and the count will be shown in the upper right.

59cd5743b55e5ef776982d92109d631e.png

yoyoyo8
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How do I determine how many files are contained in a folder on Dropbox?   Manually counting the number will take too long.   Is there a counter showing the number of files?   Many thanks.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

This was asked just below your post... have a look over at https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Photos-and-videos/How-can-I-find-the-total-number-of-files-in-a-fold... 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Ann L.3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

While the suggested techniques works to calculate the size of the folder and the number of items (folders within that folder), it does not calclate the number of total files in the main folder when there are sub folders. For example I want to know howmany jpg files I have an a particular travel itinerary, but for organizational purposes, I put each day's photos in a subfolder by date. I can't find any way to calulate the total number of files without having the folder sync to my desktop and then locating the information through my operating system OR opening each sub folder, calculating the number of files and repeating this for each sub folder and then adding those sub totals. There should be a way to do this in Dropbox if it is easy to do in in my desktop folder, especially when users are encouraged to keep folders online.

qqq1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Rich by "select all the files in the folder", did you mean to say "to see number of files in a folder, you need to click every one of them individually"? How is that an answer?

I must be misunderstanding something here, can you explain?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Can you not click the box to the left of the 'Name' header when navigating your file-structure @qqq1?

While we're at it, kindly note that you could also use the 'Ctrl+A' shortcut when in a folder of yours to select all the files within it.

I hope this helps!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

qqq1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Walterthanks for the quick response.

1. When clicking the square next to folder name, it just shows a larger "folder" icon on the right side, nowhere does it show count of files in that folder; when clicking multiple such squares, it does show how many folders I have clicked, but not how many files they contain.

Am I supposed to see file count anywhere when clicking on a folder? Do I have some wrong/different interface from other users (I'm on a Business plan)?

2. Ctrl-A inside a folder does indeed select all items and show their count... but how does it answer the question? The question is, given a list of folders with arbitrary depth, how does one see number of files in those folders and all their subfolders (what "size" metric is applied to now, but count rather that size)?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Ah, I see now - thanks for the clarifications @qqq1!

In regards to your first point, I was referring to the default 'Name' header when navigating your folders - not a particular folder. As a matter of fact, what you described is the normal behavior.

As per your second point, I was merely suggesting this so as to get an overview of the folders/files you'd be selecting. 

I understand your point now though (as you'd like to calculate the files' count within a more complex folder-structure) so I'll make a note of it in my internal feedback report to our devs for future improvements on our service.

In the meantime, you could use your computer's OS to calculate the files within your folders - assuming that you have our desktop app installed that is.

I know it's not much, yet, I sure hope this helps to some extent. 

Let us know if you come up with any additional questions!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

tdenson
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I can't believe after all this time and so many complaints that DropBox have still not fixed this fundamental flaw. It's been going on for years. So what Walter is saying as recently as two weeks ago is that the only way to get a full file count of an arbitrary folder containing sub folders is to download the files to a computer. I have a 65GB folder containg 17,000 photos and I want to check that I have the right number of files in the cloud before I delete them from the computer they were on. Firstly, I do not have sufficient free disk space to download them and even if I did I am in Africa with very poor (and expensive) bandwidth. What am I meant to do ? This is ridiculous.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jackcalling New member | Level 2
    Lady Di New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    TFlash Explorer | Level 3
    rebelPhil New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?