Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Photos on android phone synching slowly to PC

Level 2

Hi. I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 and an HP Spectre laptop. I have my dropbox account on both and all pix are set to synch to my laptop. For the last six months or so it takes a week or more for the synching to happen (it used to be within minutes). No idea how to update the dropbox on my phone if it's needed (it's version 124.2.4). I think it updates automatically. The version on my laptop is 63.4.107. I'm nearly always connected to WiFi, but have unlimited data so have set it to download from data as well. I can hit the "plus" and download manually, but that kind of defeats the purpose. Any thoughts?

3 Replies

Re: Photos on android phone synching slowly to PC

Dropboxer

Hey there @AmyMMEX - sorry to hear you're having issues with our camera uploads feature. 

At first, can you please change your bandwidth settings via the desktop app and see if this helps boost the syncing process? 

If you don't see the Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar you may need to re-install our software on your laptop. 

As you're also using the mobile app, could you please try to clear the cache from there as well?

To do this, on Android:
- Tap the menu icon in the upper-left corner of the screen
- Select "Settings"
- Select “Clear Cache

Once this is done then please ensure you log out of the Dropbox application, then restart your device and log back in again.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted on your progress Amy. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Hi Walter -

Thanks, but that did not help, unfortunately. I changed the bandwidth, as suggested. The Dropbox icon DOES appear on my desktop/menu bar, set to synch automatically, and it says it's up to date (though it is not). I cleared the cache on my phone, logged out, turned the phone off and on, logged in. Still no difference.

Screenshots on my computer download immediately. So that's working (that's never had any trouble working).

If I specifically "share" something in my gallery (on my phone) to Dropbox, uploading takes ... well ... longer than I have patience to watch, but it does end up working. But if I just wait for it to happen, it can take days.

What's frustrating is that it used to work immediately. Within minutes. My WiFi is the same speed as before, so that's not what's slowing it down.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Amy

Dropboxer

Thanks for the updates on this one Amy - most appreciated.

Since you’re seeing an issue with camera uploads on your mobile device, please reply with answers to the following questions:
1.  Does this issue affect all photos and videos, or only some?
2. Do you have another app that backs up or edits your photos? If so, what’s the name of this app?
3. Can you include a screenshot of the “Photos” tab in the Dropbox app? (please note: this is the "Photos" tab, not a folder called 'Photos')
4. Can you ensure that camera uploads is enabled by toggling it off and on again? On Android devices this can be found in the app, tap the menu button > the gear icon > under Camera uploads, select “Turn on camera uploads".
5. Can you include a screenshot of the camera uploads settings in the Dropbox app? To find settings on Android, tap the menu button and then scroll to “camera uploads.” 

Some additional notes: 

• If this issue is only happening with videos (not photos), check that you have video uploads enabled in the camera uploads settings on the Dropbox app.
  • If you can’t upload, try turning off your data and just uploading with Wi-Fi. If that doesn’t work, try uploading with both data and WiFi turned on.
  • If you can’t upload, check that your device has enough battery life (or plug it in to charge) before uploading.

Let me know what you find @AmyMMEX!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Photos and videos

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Photos on android phone synching slowly to PC
3 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post