cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide show feature removed

Slide show feature removed

KMH
Helpful | Level 5

Viewing a folder of photos as a slide show is a basic feature which was previously available in Dropbox but has been removed.  In my view this is a fundamental capability.   I would like to send a link to others to let them view files easily without clicking/swiping on every shot and without downloading all the files.  I don't get it.  Slide shows worked very well before.

9 Replies 9

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @KMH - how are you today?

As I'm not sure I understand, can you please elaborate on your query? What exactly do you mean by "slideshow" and how long have you been noticing this behavior with your shared links?

If I may ask, do you see it on other browsers other than the one you used so far and/or on an incognito or private browsing window - possibly after clearing your browser's cache as well?  

Note that everyone who accesses a shared link to an album with photos should be able to browse them by simply pressing the back or forward arrows on their keyboard.

In any case, please let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. 

Thanks in advance!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

KMH
Helpful | Level 5

I usually don't share folders of pictures because people generally don't want to fill up their space with someone else's pictures.  I sent links to folders instead.

When you view the folder of pictures in your browser, you can go to a full screen mode, but you have to manually click or right-arrow or swipe through them - I like the option for automatic advance.  In Chrome on a PC with Windows, the pictures constantly get resized after the initial display, which makes for an very clunky and abrupt transition that is hard to watch.  When video files are encountered in the same folder, Dropbox goes out of full-screen mode and you manually have to run the video and select full screen mode.  Advancing to the next file, pictures are displayed out of full screen mode.  Lots of button pushing and not a good user experience.

Contrast this with Windows Photos app.  You can select the first photo in the folder, choose "slide show", and then all photos and videos in the folder are displayed in sequence with smooth transitions.  If viewing my own pictures, that's what I use. 

If someone else receives a link to a Dropbox folder, they cannot use the Windows Photo app (or a comparable app in a different OS) without a full download of all the pictures.  If they are using a phone and the Dropbox app, they can swipe through the folder ok and manually run any videos.  If they are using a PC and browser, they are forced to endure a lot of resizing and button pushing and aren't likely to view the whole thing.  In the past, the dropbox.com had a good slide show feature that worked smoothly, now it's gone.

Hope this helps.

Chrome Version 71.0.3578.98

Windows 10 Home version 1803

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks so much on elaborating on this one for me @KMH - most appreciated.

I will be passing your comments along to the team as a feature request for previewing shared links as a slide-show - thank you for taking the time to provide your extensive feedback on this; it really helps a lot improve our services and current features.

In the meantime, I don't know if this would work for you, but there's a function that's very similar to what you'd like to achieve  -- it's Paper's presentation mode which allows you to present any Paper doc in full screen. 

As mentioned, I'm not sure if this will do the trick for you so please feel free to try it out and let me know how it goes.

Thanks again!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

JimKelly
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for describing this ommission so well 'KMH' . . .
A self running slideshow is what I expect people to be able to be offered and to use when I send them a link to a folder full of .jpg photos. I am sure that it worked last week in some circumstances but I cannot even see the option offered now (in Firefox).

SJon
Helpful | Level 5

I too miss the slide show feature.  i share links with my family, and would like to offer them a slide show.  this is the whole reason I paid for drop box.  do i need to switch to some other photo service??

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for adding your voice to this feature request @SJon - I'll make sure to pass your comments on to our dev team for consideration.

In the meantime, if my previous suggestions didn't work out well for you, you could give our Showcase feature a go as this is really close to what you'd like to achieve. Just note that it's available to our Professional and on our Dropbox Business plans (Advanced, Enterprise and Education). 

Let me know if you have any more feedback or questions.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

SJon
Helpful | Level 5

so i would have to pay twice as much??  i don't think so.

thanks, though

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

drdavidhq
New member | Level 2

I am kind of frustrated with your service, the space was increased to 2 TB on the service, but the slide-show photo function is not working yet, Could you please reconsider to implement it again, that was one of the reason I subscribed to your service but I see other services have that function up an running,

Please reconsider have it available again and maybe add the music file playing option embeded. It is alwas nicer running music as a backround when running a nice slide show.

Thank you.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to hear you are frustrated @drdavidhq:slight_frown:

We appreciate the time you took to report your feedback about these features. Moving your comment to a relevant discussion we have about this. 

There is a feature request posted by users that wish to listen to music via Dropbox. You can upvote this idea here

Thank you! 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Fiona Dropbox Staff
    drdavidhq New member | Level 2
    SJon Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?