cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video URL Playback HD default

Video URL Playback HD default

ashtnmike
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am trying to share a video that will by default playback at HD for a client. Is there a URL code addon that will force the video to playback in HD?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Any video that is previewed from Dropbox directly will be a transcoded version of the original, which plays in a lower quality and is time limited based on your account level (maximum of 15 minutes, 1 hour or 4 hours). The only way to view the original version of a video is to download it and play it locally.

You can change the ?dl=0 to ?dl=1 so that the link forces a download, instead of displaying the preview on the Dropbox website. You can also use ?raw=1 which will let the web browser decide how to open the file, but will still result in a download if the browser is configured to just play the file (it would be downloaded into the browser's cache for playback, and not streamed like on the Dropbox Preview page).

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Any video that is previewed from Dropbox directly will be a transcoded version of the original, which plays in a lower quality and is time limited based on your account level (maximum of 15 minutes, 1 hour or 4 hours). The only way to view the original version of a video is to download it and play it locally.

You can change the ?dl=0 to ?dl=1 so that the link forces a download, instead of displaying the preview on the Dropbox website. You can also use ?raw=1 which will let the web browser decide how to open the file, but will still result in a download if the browser is configured to just play the file (it would be downloaded into the browser's cache for playback, and not streamed like on the Dropbox Preview page).

ashtnmike
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I understand that, but in the streaming playback there is a quality option you can change as the viewer. Is there anyway to send a link that will, by default, make this playback in HD?Annotation 2019-03-01 130520.jpg

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

No, there isn't, and there really shouldn't be. Not everyone has a conenction that can handle streaming of HD content, and forcing that on a viewer could cause problems or present a negative experience for them.

ashtnmike
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I totally understand that but you would think it should at least be an option, especially if I know my client is connected to fast internet. Intead of them always coming back saying "this looks low resolution". 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ashtnmike New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?