cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are photos lower quality when viewing in the mobile app, but not on the PC?

Why are photos lower quality when viewing in the mobile app, but not on the PC?

Spillie
New member | Level 2

Hello,

When i look to pictures on my samsung s10+ dropbox app the pictures are not that quality looks like (when i zoom in i see it clearly) then when i see it on s10+ gallery. Why?The size are the same.

On my pc dropbox the pictures are good just like on samrtfoon gallery..

Just when i look dropbox on smartfoon looks lik enot that good pictures...i do'nt understand.

please help

7 Replies 7

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Hey there @Spillie,

While the mobile Dropbox app uploads your photos in full resolution, when you are previewing them inside the app, you will see a scaled down version for faster loading. In your phone’s gallery, you see the full resolution of your photos as the file data is stored locally on your phone. 

The files you see within the mobile Dropbox app aren’t stored in your phone’s storage, so to see photos from the mobile Dropbox app in full resolution, you can export them to your device’s internal storage. 

When you view the file on your PC, you see it at the correct resolution as the file data is stored locally on your computer. 

Hope this helps to clarify the matter, let me know if you have any other questions - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Spillie
New member | Level 2

Hello,

Thanks for support already.

It's very shame when you want show to friends on your mobile a folder with 20 pictures you can't ...and impossible to 20 pictures first download it from dropbox to your smartfoon... when that is done my friend is already at home! 

I cannot understand that!

Your smartfoon is always with you ,fast..you cannot always sai to friends come with me at my home to see it on pc... very **bleep**...

It cost a lot of time to show 1 picture download and then with gallerie showing..and what about a folder showing!!!

I'm not happy with this... now i have to keep all my pictures on my smartfoon... a lot of space and why then dropbox? just backup! not happy...

I pay for dropbox...i have to think about it... i hope for solution.

you pay dropbox special for not saving all the pictures on your smartfoon so dropbox on smartfoon i don't know ... do'n understand...

The size of picture are the same example 5.2mb on dropbox and smartfoon but the resolution not? how can quality less when the size 5.2mb are the same...

It's looks like you see everything like a thumbnail but wordless to show friends...the think bad taking pictures!

Impossible to download evry picture you want to show ...it cost plenty of time!

Now people are using most of the time and not only at home smartfoon ..and let that be now the worst hardware to use! 

common dropbox i love to have solution.

Now i have to keep 1000...2000 ...pictures on my smartfoon...

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Hey @Spillie,

To be able to see the photos in full resolution on your mobile device, as well as exporting the files you can try making them available offline within the Dropbox app. Otherwise, if you are previewing the file through the app, the photo will be scaled down for faster loading as it is not stored locally on your device.

Having said that, I’ll make sure to pass along your comments to our dev team for review in future improvements.

Hope this helps - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Spillie
New member | Level 2

Hello,

Now for example 1 folder offline made it...you can see it now it is 1 green arrow on that folder.

But when i clicked on the offline folder stil same poor quality,not same of gallerie...

So i guess also not solution or do i something wrong with this offline folder...means that i have to click n the folder in dropbox or means offline other place to look ? i guess not.

i thought you said when the picture open from dropbox and the picture is also stored on the device pc or smartfoon the quality is the same? but that doesnt seem ok also... or do i misunderstand this...

i'm still not see if there is solution...

underdiploma
New member | Level 2

hi , the answer is when you open the image in your pc it first store it in temp file and shows real resolution but for mobile for showing it faster it shows lower quality , just download the file in order to have the high resolution or " acutal resolution"

Spillie
New member | Level 2

hello,

I understand on pc that temp files helps there... but on year 2019 you should think when the smartphones are "the nr 1 device" that works as well! 

But the truth is you have each picture  export to show...so it is algoritme and not usefull

When you buy a smartphone from top segment and then you must each picture export to show correctly then very dissapoint.

I cannot understand i'm the only one to have this problem.

So each picture now i have to keep on smartphone himself..dropbox useless.

On pc it works ok.

Hope that dropbox search en also handlle my problem with a lot of attention ..

otherwise i have to think hard to keep my pay account. i only search for the best...i'm no tlooking for thumbnails when you are shooting planes ...every detail is important...

i gonna do a lot of resaerch now and later to see what's on the market if this not have a good solution...maeby there isnt one...

I look what's best for me...i pay a lot of money dropbox..so i like to have no problems...

regard Steven

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

While you have the photos stored in your gallery, there is no connection between the photos there and in the Dropbox app. So while viewing files within the mobile app, you wont be redirected to the photo in the gallery. 

I’m afraid all I can suggest is that if you want to view photos from the mobile app in full resolution, then you will have to export them locally to the device.

As I mentioned previously, I’ll pass this along to our dev team as I understand this is an important feature for you. If you have any other questions then please let me know.

Hope you have a great day - Thanks!  

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    Spillie New member | Level 2
    underdiploma New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?