cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Banned links or temporarily disabled links

Banned links or temporarily disabled links

Nick T.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm new to Dropbox. It's about 1 week.
I have uploaded soccer game videos to share with parents & players.
Yesterday, shortly after uploading the 3rd of 3 games.
My links all got banned. I managed to lift the ban.

Shortly after, my links got temporarily disabled again.
When will this temporary ban be lifted??
how can I prevent this from happening?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lana P.1
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi ,

Shared links and file requests are automatically banned when they generate large amounts of traffic and exceed our bandwidth or download limits. In order to prevent abuse, Basic accounts are limited to 20 GB of bandwidth and 100,000 downloads per day, while Pro and Business accounts have a much higher limit of 200 GB per day and unlimited downloads.

Please note that Dropbox does not offer a way to buy an additional bandwidth allowance for your account.

Due to the way we track shared links and file requests, we cannot provide information about why a particular link or file request was banned.

However, if a recipient of a shared link sends it to other users who subsequently download it, this could account for high bandwidth usage. Similarly, if a single recipient downloads the shared link multiple times, each download is counted separately for bandwidth tracking purposes. This can also cause shared links to be banned.

If a requester receives a large number of uploads of files by one user or multiple users, this could account for high bandwidth usage. This could be due to one recipient re-uploading a file often or if a recipient forwards the file request email to other users who subsequently upload files.

Shared links and file requests are banned temporarily (1 day for the first time) and will be restored when the ban has expired.

Cheers,
Maxine

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Lana P.1
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi ,

Shared links and file requests are automatically banned when they generate large amounts of traffic and exceed our bandwidth or download limits. In order to prevent abuse, Basic accounts are limited to 20 GB of bandwidth and 100,000 downloads per day, while Pro and Business accounts have a much higher limit of 200 GB per day and unlimited downloads.

Please note that Dropbox does not offer a way to buy an additional bandwidth allowance for your account.

Due to the way we track shared links and file requests, we cannot provide information about why a particular link or file request was banned.

However, if a recipient of a shared link sends it to other users who subsequently download it, this could account for high bandwidth usage. Similarly, if a single recipient downloads the shared link multiple times, each download is counted separately for bandwidth tracking purposes. This can also cause shared links to be banned.

If a requester receives a large number of uploads of files by one user or multiple users, this could account for high bandwidth usage. This could be due to one recipient re-uploading a file often or if a recipient forwards the file request email to other users who subsequently upload files.

Shared links and file requests are banned temporarily (1 day for the first time) and will be restored when the ban has expired.

Cheers,
Maxine

randy d.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I just ran into this issue. I get maybe 500-1,000 downloads a day and I have a pro plan but somehow they still banned my links from being shared. Why does this happen? Do I need to wait a full day? My users are complaining to me how can I get this fixed right away.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Why does this happen?

Links can be suspended for a number of reasons, not just bandwidth overage. Though bandwidth is the most common cause, it could also be a copyright issue, a virus detection, etc. Only Support can tell you the exact reason.

Do I need to wait a full day?

For a bandwidth related suspension, yes, with each subsequent suspension lasting longer. Other suspensions may not be lifted until the cause of the problem has been corrected

My users are complaining to me how can I get this fixed right away.

You have to wait out the suspension. If it's for a reason other than bandwidth, you'll need to contact Support.

randy d.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I contacted support but I have yet to hear from them

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Replies take 2 - 3 working days usually Randy.

You can track at http://dropbox.zendesk.com

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

mike t.23
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Im sick of drop box!!!! Im going to google docs!

Robert S.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Im sick of drop box!!!! Im going to google docs!

No problem, whatever works for you.

FFG R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

How long the ban will expire? -- please, that's the most critical thing that generates all the anxiety. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

How long the ban will expire?

Read the entire thread, please. As stated:

• Shared links and file requests are banned temporarily (1 day for the first time) and will be restored when the ban has expired. 
  • Do I need to wait a full day?

For a bandwidth related suspension, yes, with each subsequent suspension lasting longer. Other suspensions may not be lifted until the cause of the problem has been corrected.

Need more support?