cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a refund for double payments

Getting a refund for double payments

Harry S.12
Explorer | Level 4

Long story short. Since about 2015 I have been making double payments to Dropbox. I was paying via credit card since 2011 and in 2015 I began making a duplicate payment via PayPal. I am guessing I wanted to stop using the credit card, but forgot to cancel that auto payment 😞 Dumb mistake by me for sure.

I overpaid by $536.76. I've spent two months trying to work with customer support. They demanded records from PayPal which took me a month to obtain. Once I got them all the information they demanded, including very detailed PayPal transaction logs, I was told that all but one overpayment were too old to refund.

I've opened 3 tickets with Dropbox. It's clear they are under pressure to close tickets as quickly as possible. All 3 tickets were closed prematurely. 

After a partial refund, I am due $416.88 in overpayments.

I've been with Dropbox for over 10 years. I have really liked the service until now. The last idea I have is to mail corporate directly. But I've had no luck finding an address or a name. 

Dropbox support is ineffective. I'm posting here to see if someone might have other ideas for resolving this.

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Harry S.12, sorry for the late response.

Could you please share your ticket IDs in order to look them up in our system?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Harry S.12
Explorer | Level 4
Here were the tickets:

Ticket 1: https://www.dropbox.com/support/ticket/16497016 CLOSED
Ticket 2: https://www.dropbox.com/support/ticket/16963876 CLOSED
Ticket 3: https://www.dropbox.com/support/ticket/17983045 CLOSED

I've had further responses from Dropbox support on Twitter where they basically say sorry about that.

I've never in my life heard of a company that simply keeps accidental overpayments. At the very least, I was expecting my account to be credited. 

It's clear Dropbox doesn't care. After mailing a letter to Dropbox headquarters and getting no response, I just decided to file a complaint with the BBB. In doing so, I saw that Dropbox has a D- rating with them already, which means mine isn't the only complaint they are ignoring. 

I thought Dropbox was a standup company. I was wrong. It's time to switch services after more than ten years if I can find a better one.

Thanks

Harry S.12
Explorer | Level 4

So the Better Business Bureau contact Dropbox twice on my behalf and got no response. No surprise. Dropbox has a D- rating on BBB, so they clearly couldn't care less about customer service.

To take this further, I would need to contact the California Attorney General, and... no thanks. It's only a few hundred dollars. 

Folks, when you find a great company with ethics that stands behind its products, you really need to support them. And when you find a company like Dropbox that has no integrity, find another product. That's all I can do at this point.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Harry S.12 Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?