cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to cancel an account for email address I cannot access?

How to cancel an account for email address I cannot access?

jfarnum6
Explorer | Level 3

How do I cancel an account for an email address I cannot access?

- I'm unable to log into the dropbox account as I don't have access to the email address. 

12 Replies 12

Rich
Super User II

@jfarnum6 wrote:

How do I cancel an account for an email address I cannot access?

You likely won't be able to gain access to the account without access to the email address. If the account sits idle for more than a year then it will be deleted automatically due to inactivity. If it's a paid account you can contact Support and get them to cancel any future billing.

Visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums, and you'll see an option for Billing issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

jfarnum6
Explorer | Level 3

Unfortunately, I'm unable to access the email inbox associated with my dropbox account (thus, I cannot log into the paid account to submit billing changes/cancellation). 

Can someone from dropbox support please reach out to help process this cancellation? 

Thanks!

Rich
Super User II

@jfarnum6 wrote:

I cannot log into the paid account to submit billing changes/cancellation

You don't need to. If you follow through the entire form on the link I provided, you can submit a ticket without signing in. There's a button for billing issues and after that an option for Other when specifying the account.

You CANNOT be signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums, when doing this otherwise the Support page will detect the account. This is why it's best to use an Incognito/private browsing window, to ensure you're not signed in.

jfarnum6
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, Rich. I'll gave that a shot. I've provided my paid account email and personal email so hopefully the support team reaches out in the next 1-2 business days. I'll report back in a few days. Thanks! 

zorrobyte
New member | Level 2

This is exactly why I won't ever use Dropbox again, what kind of company makes contacting support this difficult?

jfarnum6
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Rich - unfortunately, Dropbox never responded to my inquiry. 

Rich
Super User II

@jfarnum6 wrote:

Hi Rich - unfortunately, Dropbox never responded to my inquiry. 

Reply here with your ticket number and a Dropboxer might be able to look into it.

Tagging @Hannah @Megan @Nancy.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @jfarnum6, when you submitted the ticket, did you enter the email you cannot access under the section 'Email address associated with the account' from the support ticket link @Rich provided?

If so, please try again with an email address that you can access for the email to arrive in your inbox?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jfarnum6
Explorer | Level 3

HI @Jay and @Rich  thank you for the help.  I resubmitted the ticket with my personal email address in the account user field +  provided the paid account email address (which I can no longer access) in the body of the request. There was no ticket# provided. 

Thanks!

Need more support?