cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I accidentally joined a business account. How can I go back to my original plan?

I accidentally joined a business account. How can I go back to my original plan?

HazelRevilla
Explorer | Level 3

Hey! Please help me I'm being charged for a dropbox business account. I didn't mean to have it clicked. A client shared a link to a folder. Now I'm being registered to a business account. I want my original plan to be restored which is 2tb per year only. Please help thank you!

17 Replies 17

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @HazelRevilla, sorry to hear about this.

It sounds like instead of a shared folder, you joined a Dropbox for Business teams account. 

In that case, you'll need to ask your team admin to convert your account back to an individual account using these steps.

From there, once your account has been converted, you'll need to upgrade to the plan you were on as desired. 

I hope this helps!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

HazelRevilla
Explorer | Level 3
Hi walter, unfortunately I can’t contact my client to make these changes for me. It’s my fault I accidentally clicked the other option which is to join a Dropbox business account. Is there any way I can fix this? Please let me know thank you so much!

Rich
Super User II

@HazelRevilla wrote:
Hi walter, unfortunately I can’t contact my client to make these changes for me. It’s my fault I accidentally clicked the other option which is to join a Dropbox business account. Is there any way I can fix this? Please let me know thank you so much!

If you joined their business account, then only their team admin can resolve this for you. Basically, by joining someone's business account you merged your account into theirs. When this happened you would have received a pro-rated refund for any time remaining on your subscription.

In order to leave the team, the team admin needs to convert your account back to an individual account. It's important that they don't just remove you from the team as doing so would delete your account. If that were to happen, the team admin only has seven days to restore your account. Once your account is converted you'll be back on a Basic (free) account. You can then resubscribe to get back to 2TB of space.

If what you actually mean is that you converted your own account into a Business account that you're the admin of (you mentioned being charged for a Business account above), then you can cancel your Business subscription.

HazelRevilla
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Rich  Thanks for your comment and all of the info.I'm now back at the basic subscription and will now upgrade my plan to 2tb.But my worry is, I will be charged 2 times as I have received an email when I got into the dropbox business account:

"Your previous Dropbox Plus subscription has been cancelled and we've issued $96.89 to your original payment method for the remaining value of your subscription. "

Will I be charged twice? Or just continue with the billing of the 2tb subscription? Thanks!

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @HazelRevilla, I'd be happy to answer this one for you! 

Essentially when you joined the Business team, you must have received a refund for the remaining period of the Plus plan you'd paid. 

Therefore now, you'd need to re-upgrade from scratch. 

I hope that clarifies. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Lou22
New member | Level 2

I have had my own dropbox for YEARS. I am a freelance designer. Today a client sent me an invitation to join their Dropbox team (is that the correct language?) which I stupidly said YES to. Now MY dropbox appears to be THEIR dropbox, along with all my other clients folders and info. How do I revert to my old dropbox? Or how can I fix this mess. I am livid. TYIA

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Lou22, sorry to hear that! 

I've merged your post under a similar thread, just to keep everything at one place. 

Essentially, you would need to reach out to the Team's admin, and ask them to revert you back to an individual account. Feel free to have a look into this thread. 

If you have any questions, don't hesitate! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Tom Jobim
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I received an invitation to access a shared folder from a client : 

"Join your team on Dropbox.

Hi there,

Your invite to join XXX awaits your answer.

As a team member, you can easily collaborate and share content with the people you already work with. You’ll have your own space to organize your personal and shared files.

Accept invite"

I clicked on 'accept invite,' and I gained access to the folder.

However, shortly after, I received a notification stating that my Dropbox Family subscription has been canceled :

"Hello,

Thank you for joining XXX on Dropbox for teams.

Your previous Dropbox Family subscription has been canceled, and we have credited $X.XX to your initial payment method. This amount corresponds to the remaining value of your subscription. Please contact us if you have any questions.

"Welcome to the team!

Dropbox"

This is not my intention, and I would like to resume my subscription and revert the changes. Could you help me and guide me on the necessary steps?

Thanks,

Tom

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Tom Jobim, thanks for reaching out to our Community.

What you need to do in this particular case, is to be removed from the Dropbox Business team and then re-upgrade to Dropbox Family.

Basically, the admin of the Business team will need to remove you by converting your account to an individual one.

Once that's done, you can simply re-upgrade your account to Dropbox Family.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    patbeennettaz New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?