cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I will loose my original bonus storage space when downgrading from pro to basic. Why?

I will loose my original bonus storage space when downgrading from pro to basic. Why?

Guido
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Through signing up (lots of) friends I gathered up to 49Gb of bonus storage. Last year I upgraded to Pro and now I want to downgrade back to Basic. The problem is that I now will be downgraded to 22GB of storage. So what happened to the other 27GB that I earned? I want to be downgraded back to the original 49GB that I had. 

Dropbox, please help me correct this.

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

At that time the max was 50GB. This must have been around 2011-12

So have Richard and myself I'm afraid (we are both with user numbers below 25k). Originally you could only get 8gb as a free user. You needed to EITHER be Pro OR a Student to get to 16gb. To get to the full 32 you needed both. 

You can see space you have learnt via www.dropbox.com/account and where its come from, however, guarantee it is NOT referrals. HTC promos were also between 26 and 50gb, however, they 'leave' a small bonus on the account when they expire - usually 2gb or so. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

There is absolutely no way you can amass 49GB of space through referrals - for Basic accounts it maxes out at 16GB, for Pro the limit is 32GB.

So you may have bonuses from other promotions which have expired.

Guido
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I absolutely got to 49GB. This was before there were basic and pro accounts. At that time the max was 50GB. This must have been around 2011-12. Maybe those limitations were applied later. 

Guido
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

The only bonus I got that may have expired was one with an HTC phone. But that not that much, 1 or 2 GB. Must have been around the same time, 2011-12.

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Ive been around Dropbox since the day they opened to the public, and the 16GB and 32GB limits have always existed - Pro accounts started in 2008, and before then you were limited to 2GB +16GB + promotions.

There is no point at which you could have achieved 49GB through referrals.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

At that time the max was 50GB. This must have been around 2011-12

So have Richard and myself I'm afraid (we are both with user numbers below 25k). Originally you could only get 8gb as a free user. You needed to EITHER be Pro OR a Student to get to 16gb. To get to the full 32 you needed both. 

You can see space you have learnt via www.dropbox.com/account and where its come from, however, guarantee it is NOT referrals. HTC promos were also between 26 and 50gb, however, they 'leave' a small bonus on the account when they expire - usually 2gb or so. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Guido
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thank you Marc! I didn't know I could get a complete overview of earned space. Turns out that I have 36.38GB of earned space. 32GB of which was through referrals and the rest through Camera Uploads bonus and linking with Mailbox, plus a bit for completing some tasks. (The rest that would have filled it up to 49GB must have been expired bonuses, like the HTC promo, which is not mentioned in the overview.)

So now my question remains. Why does dropbox says I will fall back to 22GB when I downgrade from Pro to Basic? I think I should keep the 36.38GB that I earned. 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

As Richard said you get double referral space while you are a Pro user. So as a Pro user you can get 32gb of space. As a free its limited to 16gb. 

To be honest the doubling makes very little difference now that Pro is 1TB, however, when Pro was 50gb it made one hell of a difference!

Gossamer88
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

And what happens to my files if I have not downloaded everything yet? 

FYI, I'm using about 700GB so feel do not need the 2TB plan as I have the 2TB iCloud as well as 1TB OneDrive. 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

While you are sticking to the same account - Yes (by Dropbox promises). You didn't changed account on upgrade and wouldn't to change it on downgrade - the bonus points should keep the same (they can be seen here). Take in mind that the same bonus earning leads to different earned space on different accounts plan, so 25GB may not stay the same (same bonuses -> different space 🤷). On paid account the same action (same bonus point) leads to bigger earned space.

PS: Take a look here. I hope the matter is clear. 😉

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    Gossamer88 Helpful | Level 6
    Mark Super User II
    Guido New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?