cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a plan space increase on the horizon? 3/4TB is wayyy too small with a Macbook M2 8TB of SSD

Is there a plan space increase on the horizon? 3/4TB is wayyy too small with a Macbook M2 8TB of SSD

shinbeth
Experienced | Level 13

Hi Dropbox support and dev teams,

I recently purchased a Macbook M2 8TB of internal SSD and unfortunately Dropbox' outdated plans are wayyyy too small. I need at the very minimum 8TB of space to backup my data (I'm a professional designer/musician etc. which is highly data consuming and I need to keep everything backed up in real time for my clients).

I don't wanna switch to Business Plans because I tried them before and they're totally different, it creates a 3-user repository system which I don't need on the side of the current /Dropbox folder, and which will completely mess up my current structure. It would take me months to transfer my existing data to the Business Plan and keep everything organised without losing any data in the process (I tried it before it didn't work smoothly).

Also, the 3-user plan doesn't make sense when you're alone (which is the case of 99% independent single users, not many use Dropbox Business as a company). So please allow us to extend the Personal/Pro plans instead of forcing us to the Business Plan which a completely different Dropbox, and which we won't migrate to because it's not convenient for individual users.

Whereas => simply extending the current Personal/Pro plans from their current 2TB/3TB/4TB maximum hard limit to 8TB/12TB/18TB/30TB/unlimited plan (with a variation in price accordingly) would be just perfect, since I won't have to do anything and the limit will increase in 2 seconds.

Please advise Dropbox, we're not in 2010 anymore. People have expEnsive computers with expAnsive disk sizes!

I'm ready to pay a lot for this, so take my money and change your plan asap! Coding the change will take about 30 seconds (changing values).

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II

Dropbox have repeatedly said that the have no plans for this I'm afraid.

They are also well known to just change things. So its not something I'd expect to be announced if they do change their minds rather it'll just happen.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

shinbeth
Experienced | Level 13

Interesting thanks for the info.

I guess I'll have to try to find an alternative to Dropbox for lacking basic market and customer research + pricing modelling skills then.

Regards.

Mark
Super User II

@shinbeth wrote:

Interesting thanks for the info.

I guess I'll have to try to find an alternative to Dropbox for lacking basic market and customer research + pricing modelling skills then.

Regards.

Unfortunately the thing is - at this moment at least - their current business model and plan is working. They are growing and also increasing profitability. While we may not agree with a lot of what they are doing (and I'm quite vocal about things myself.....!) it is obviously working for them. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

shinbeth
Experienced | Level 13

Yeah well I agree this is the life of most companies.

Only one day they realised they didn't catch up on their market and consumers needs, and become obsolete.

It's too late that day then, and they start sinking.

Seriously who needs such small disk space in 2023, it's beyond my understanding.

Rich
Super User II

@shinbeth wrote:

Seriously who needs such small disk space in 2023, it's beyond my understanding.

The majority of Dropbox's users, otherwise you'd see many more requests for this rather than just a few every so often, and instead of the many, MANY people always asking for smaller plans.

shinbeth
Experienced | Level 13

Not really, it's just that poor users are more vocal about it since they can't afford it, whereas on the opposite spectrum, for most people with money like me, it's not as vital in life (although it IS really ANNOYING)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

shinbeth Experienced | Level 13
    Rich Super User II
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?