cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in learning how media industry leaders use Dropbox Replay? Register for our webinar here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore a personal account after deleting an unsubscribed business account (within trial period)

Restore a personal account after deleting an unsubscribed business account (within trial period)

Nilesh01
New member | Level 2

Hi there,

I unsubscribed on a business account and there was a user on a license seat attached and they are now not able to use their personal account.

How do we recover the user's personal account?

Grateful for help on this.

Thank you. 

Nilesh

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Nilesh01, let's jump right into this! 

Just to clarify: it sounds like you cancelled your Business trial, and now an old team member can't access their individual Dropbox account, is that right? If not, feel free to correct me here.

Keep in mind, that once you cancel a Business trial, the team is disbanded, and each member can go back to their own, personal accounts. 

Do they get any specific errors when trying to access their Dropbox account? Did you delete the account, after cancelling the trial?

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Nilesh01
New member | Level 2

Hi Megan,

Thank you so for making time for the reply and help.  To clarify;

Yes, I cancelled the Business trial. Before then , i was trying to clear off the one and only member. That person already had an account with shared folders with others etc. I couldn't see how to unconnect them from the business account folder and used the delete function thinking it would only remove them from the business account. After that, I unsubscribed from the business account (as the admin person). 

As you say, the old team member can't access their individual Dropbox account, correct. I think it might have got deleted?   However, the person cannot go back to their personal account and got a mail about that. It also says account is now deleted. 

I found some Dropbox support pages saying the deleted account can be restored within 7 days. Is that true?  I'm in dread if that person has permanently lost their files and personal account. 

Grateful for your help and advice on what to do. 

Best

Nilesh

Do they get any specific errors when trying to access their Dropbox account? Did you delete the account, after cancelling the trial?

Rich
Super User II

@Nilesh01 wrote:

I found some Dropbox support pages saying the deleted account can be restored within 7 days. Is that true?

Restoring the account would have been possible had you not disbanded the team. Only the team admin (you) would have been able to do that, not Dropbox, and it needs to be done while the team is still active. Now that the team has been disbanded, it's likely no longer possible to restore the member account.

Instead of deleting the member, you needed to convert their account back to an individual account.

Nilesh01
New member | Level 2

Hi Rich

Thanks for responding, though the news is shocking!   I looked all around to see what I needed to do and it was not clear that my option was to transition them back to an individual account. 

Surely, they can recover the business account and restore the individual account. Surely, all files are recoverable when it's stored in the cloud. 

Thanks.

Nilesh

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Nilesh01, I can't promise you anything, but I'd love to see if there's anything that we can do. 

Can I send you an email, in order for us to have a closer look? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Nilesh01 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?