Did you mean: 

Doc scanner now available on Android!

11 Comments
9 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Doc scanner now available on Android!

Hello community members,

We’re very excited to announce that the Document Scanner for Android is now live!

How do I use it?
Simply visit Google's app store and make sure you’re up to date to the latest version

Once up to date the easiest way to access the feature is to tap "Scan Document" from the Plus button menu (from both Recents and Files).

What’s supported:
  • Capturing a multi-page scan.
  • Selecting pages from the camera roll.
  • Editing and re-arranging pages. (Try holding your phone both vertically and horizontally!)
  • Saving scanned document as PDF or JPG.
  • OCR

Hope you guys like it! Feel free to leave your feedback in the comments below.

11 Replies
Level 2

Re: Doc scanner now available on Android!

Just updated Dropbox but do not see the doc scanner feature?
Level 2

Not there for me either?
Level 2

= not available for me either
klh Level 2
Level 2

I'm not seeing it either, and I'm running the latest version of Dropbox.

Community Manager

Hi all,

The doc scanner will take up to 24 hours to become available on your device. Please try signing out and back in to your device after 24 hours, and let me know if you still don't see the feature.

Thanks
Level 2

I'm extremely excited to see this added to the mobile app. I currently use Evernote for scanning receipts and other documents, but I'd LOVE to be able to use Dropbox directly.

Here is some feedback after trying it out (I shared this with support as well):

1. It's difficult to put a custom file name

By default, a timestamp name is created.

If you Select All and delete to put in a custom name, the app hard-crashes and the image is lost.

If you delete the file extension, the app hard-crashes (even though there is a separate toggle to select the file extension)

To change the name, you have to select just left of the file extension, and delete one character at a time until the default name is gone.

This is painstakingly tedious, even when doing just one scan, let alone multiple ones in a row.

Suggestions:

a) Let me use any file name, and append the extension afterwords (based on the toggle selection).

b) Have a one-click option to clear the default name.

2. No way to store notes about the file

Only option is to go back into Dropbox after file is saved and add "comments". This is not ideal.

Suggestions:

a) Have a simple "notes" field that I can edit at the same time that the file is scanned

3. Preview is draft quality (and you can't edit, only start over)

The preview is so low quality, it's hard to tell if the scan was successful or needs to be re-done. Sometimes even though preview is hard to see, the final file is fine. Other times, it has to be re-scanned. You can't tell until it's done, saved, and you go back into Dropbox. 

4. No photo auto-select capability (and auto-focus is super jumpy)

You have to manually click to capture the image. Meanwhile, even with a steady hand and a clear background, the focus jumps all over the place. It's like a game of whack-a-mole to get the scan to capture at the right moment when the focus is aligned correctly.

Suggestions:

a) Improve the focus capabilities

b) Have an automatic capture option (similar to Evernote and bank app check-scan options)

5. Final image is low quality

Can't tell if this is just due to the focus issue, but even the best captures I made resulted in fairly low-resolution scans. I have 13MB camera (Pixel), so it's capable of extremely high-res scans. The ones Dropbox took are not great, even when viewing on a phone screen.

6. App logged out between scans

Between each scan (of multiple separate documents), the app logged out, and I had to re-login. I have fingerprint scan, so this wasn't a huge deal, but still annoying to have that extra step.

Additional "nice-to-have" features

a) A way to annotate the file

b) One-click to scan widget

Hope this feedback helps! Looking forward to seeing improvements... for now though, I'll be sticking to the Evernote scanner.

Level 4

I have simmilar issue regarding picture quality. I have Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 and the final image is completly unredable. It is only 480x640 pixels! My collegue at work has older phone and scan funcion produces full resolution images for him. Is there any option to increse quality?

Dropboxer

Thanks for all the feedback!

It's difficult to put a custom file name.

We've fixed the crash for v46+ and also made a behavioral change to have the name portion of the file name per-selected upon entering the "Save" screen. Using a custom file name should then be a simple matter of just typing on the keyboard.

> Preview is draft quality. 

Previews are currently created with low resolutions for performance and memory consumption reasons. It was proven to be necessary to support lower end devices. We have some pretty good ideas on how to improve the experience in this area, but I can't promise any concrete timelines.

>I have simmilar issue regarding picture quality. I have Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 and the final image is completly unredable. It is only 480x640 pixels!

I've logged a high-priority bug against this. It's an unexpected side-effect of the app prioritizing camera resolutions that best matches the aspect ratio of the screen. Certain Android devices have screen and camera combinations that don't work well with this strategy.

ps. I've added the feature requests to our internal wishlist.

Level 2

Otherwise a good idea is ruined by the very terrible resolution of the scans. Using Redmin Note 3 with Miui 8.2.1.0.