In need of some #MondayMotivation? Read more

Smart Sync

SOLVED
151 Comments
531 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Smart Sync

Smart Sync will allow users to free up hard disk space and revolutionize the way content is stored and recalled. Smart Sync will not replace Selective Sync but instead will run in parallel to it, giving similar end results with dramatically increased functionality.

How does it work?
You can right click on a file or folder and choose to remove the local copy by selecting Online-only”. 
Who can use it?
To access Smart Sync a Business team must be opted into Dropbox’s early access program. From here the team admin can then enable Smart Sync for all their members.

If you have any questions or feedback about Smart Sync, please comment below.

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Dropboxer

Re: Smart Sync

Thanks for all your feedback, folks - I'm excited to see all the interest in Smart Sync slightly smiling face 

We're just getting started with Smart Sync, and we're actively looking into bringing Smart Sync to individuals in the future. We'll share more info as we have it.

151 Replies

This feature shoudl be available to Dropbox Pro users as well.

Level 2

Agree. We are a small team of two and both have just the Pro plan. This would save us a lot of troubles since we work as photographers.

Level 4

Been looking forward to the smart sync (aka project infinite) since it was first rumoured... disappointed it's business only and the minimum user accounts are 5... As a small design studio of 3 people, it seems like a cash grab to charge for 5 users... Is it really that difficult to make it pay per user with increments of one user at a time? We have no intentions of expanding our staff any time soon.

Please make smart sync available to Pro users.

Level 4

i pay for 2 pro accounts for personal use, smart sync would really save alot of hassle. very surprised it wasn't announced for pro accounts too..
Level 4

I agree 100%.

While it would ideally be free, I must admit that I would pay another $2-$4 per month for this feature alone. At a minimum, it should be offered as an add-on for those of us who pay for Pro accounts.

Part of the argument for "free" is that this creates a strong lock in effect by enabling small(er) capacity machines and more Dropbox cloud storage. I might soon be posting here asking for a 2TB Pro account upgrade, for which I would certainly be willing to pay.
Level 5

C'mon Dropbox. Do not let your loyal pro users down. Smart sync is exactly what people with 128 or 256 GB notebooks need, and you know that slightly smiling face

For me does not make any sense do not include it as a tool for the pro users. Actually that is basically what we already have using the dropbox app for our smartphones.

You still have time to turn things around slightly smiling face

Level 8

Rif.: Smart Sync

Definitely paying Pro users should be able to use Smart Sync.
Level 2

Please Please make this available to DropBox Pro users asap!!

Thanks, Cory

Level 4

Don't leave us paying pro users behind! Smart Sync for a small team of 2 or more is a must! Pretty dissapointing that the feature is limited to the business plans which is a minumum of 5.