cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Product Updates

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What's new in Dropbox - 5th Edition

What's new in Dropbox - 5th Edition

Ed
Dropbox Staff

Hi all

Welcome to another edition of our 'What's New in Dropbox'. If you missed any previous edition, you can read them all here

The goal of this edition is to give you a bit more insights on what's happening in Dropbox and Dropbox Paper. You're welcome to add comments and feedback!

Thanks and have a great read 🙂

smart-sync-icons4.png

Desktop IPv6

The Dropbox application now supports connecting on networks that utilize IPv6 addressing. Should your internal network operate with IPv6 addresses then the desktop application will recognize this and operate within this environment. If, for any reason, the network were to change to using IPv4 addressing then we would continue to operate.

In the event that you are running a dual-stack IP implementation and both IPv6 and IPv4 are available, Dropbox will take the IPv6 network by default but may take IPv4 in situations where IPv6 addresses are slow to resolve. 

Drag and Drop on Paper

We’ve recently released drag and drop features for columns and rows in Paper tables. Now you can reorganize your tables without having to copy/paste the content!  

Raw photo previews

Dropbox now previews raw photos on the web, iOS, and Android apps. We support previews for multiple file type extensions. You can see the full list here. There are some exceptions to which RAW file extensions are supported, and we will share more updates on this once we have more information. 

New Dropbox web with enhanced UI

To make dropbox.com even better and easier to use, we’re rolling out an updated design. A few things have changed with the redesigned version of dropbox.com. You can read them all in details on our Help Center:

Hope you enjoyed it! 

41 Replies 41

divinetomedy
Helpful | Level 6

Hey Dropbox team,

Generally awesome update - love the new look and simplicity. I'm frustrated by two things, one of which is already mentioned by others but the other not:

1. The effective screen width has been greatly reduced, due to the new right-column functionality and increased font size. This really doesn't work. Please see what I'm talking about - an actual screenshot in Chrome on a Macbook Air with browser full width. Yikes.

2. About every 3rd navigation click doesn't actually change the view. I'll click a folder, or press the back arrow, and the address bar/URL will update, but the screen will not. This requires me to refresh my screen about 50 times whenever I'm navigating around my Dropbox. I understand you guys were going for a more clever UI system than plain ol' linking, but this is a perfect case where utility should trump cleverness.

Is there a way to revert my version until these bugs are worked out? Since Dropbox is much more a necessary utility than discretionary app for me, I would prefer not to be a guinea pig to new changes. Maybe test it out on 1/10th or 1/100th of your userbase first, without subjecting the rest of us to brittleness.

Thanks,

TOM

Dorian
Dropbox Staff

It mentions that certain RAW formats are now supported and links to the HC article for a list of the formats. There are, however, no RAW formats listed in this HC article. Any thoughts?

j_walker
New member | Level 2

Agreed! The change in graphics was unnecessary

Joseph C.23
Collaborator | Level 9

I'd like to commend the team on the new rendition of Dropbox. Great work I am sure lots of people will find these new features usefull.

Now, where is that classic view option? Also, can we please get back right click?

Thank you 

Alasdair
New member | Level 2
Its clunky, its slow 25 minutes and I still haven't actually downloaded the file and the splash pop ups offering your tour are extremely annoying as an experienced user. Get out of your users way and let them use your software stop being a PITA.

Marty3
New member | Level 2
Cool

Susan G.26
Helpful | Level 6

This new layout is horrible! I want the old one back!!! I have to uncheck a file after moving/downloading....wasted time! If I move/download more than one file at a time it goes into a zip file which has to be unzipped in its new location....wasted time!! The download/move/copy/delete keys are sooooo far away from everything else on the screen....wasted time!! 

PLEASE

Susan G.26
Helpful | Level 6

This new layout is horrible! I want the old one back!!! I have to uncheck a file after moving/downloading....wasted time! If I move/download more than one file at a time it goes into a zip file which has to be unzipped in its new location....wasted time!! The download/move/copy/delete keys are sooooo far away from everything else on the screen....wasted time!! 

PLEASE GIVE ME THE OPTION TO GO BACK TO THE OLD FORMAT!!!!!!

Susan G.26
Helpful | Level 6

And I can't delete this incomplete comment! 

alertpilot
New member | Level 2
The latest trends in UI's over-simplify pages render them almost useless. I like the earlier interface. The trend toward flat, washed-out colors/gray/single-color is plain ugly. How does it help productivity? Why are we going back in time? We have multiple core, fast cpus and video, why are we going to these plain, boring interfaces which hide everything? The information density on the new UI is very limited in functionality. More mouse clicks and scrolling are required, features are hidden or non-existent. Your effort to make it "simple" actually makes it more complicated. If I were accessing on a phone I cam see why it might be OK however I like to see options, I like choices and I feel the new UI is poor. Not everyone accesses your site on a phone or tablet. Can you provide an option to display the older UI, please?
Need more support?