cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Product Updates

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What's new in Dropbox - 5th Edition

What's new in Dropbox - 5th Edition

Ed
Dropbox Staff

Hi all

Welcome to another edition of our 'What's New in Dropbox'. If you missed any previous edition, you can read them all here

The goal of this edition is to give you a bit more insights on what's happening in Dropbox and Dropbox Paper. You're welcome to add comments and feedback!

Thanks and have a great read 🙂

smart-sync-icons4.png

Desktop IPv6

The Dropbox application now supports connecting on networks that utilize IPv6 addressing. Should your internal network operate with IPv6 addresses then the desktop application will recognize this and operate within this environment. If, for any reason, the network were to change to using IPv4 addressing then we would continue to operate.

In the event that you are running a dual-stack IP implementation and both IPv6 and IPv4 are available, Dropbox will take the IPv6 network by default but may take IPv4 in situations where IPv6 addresses are slow to resolve. 

Drag and Drop on Paper

We’ve recently released drag and drop features for columns and rows in Paper tables. Now you can reorganize your tables without having to copy/paste the content!  

Raw photo previews

Dropbox now previews raw photos on the web, iOS, and Android apps. We support previews for multiple file type extensions. You can see the full list here. There are some exceptions to which RAW file extensions are supported, and we will share more updates on this once we have more information. 

New Dropbox web with enhanced UI

To make dropbox.com even better and easier to use, we’re rolling out an updated design. A few things have changed with the redesigned version of dropbox.com. You can read them all in details on our Help Center:

Hope you enjoyed it! 

41 Replies 41

whois101
New member | Level 2

I like much of the new stuff, but miss e.g. the right-clicking and straight multi-file downloads.

I certainly like the new 'Recents' folder. It would be really great if we could have a 'go to containing folder' option in the file's [...] menu, for e.g. drag and drop of a downloaded and edited file from computers that cannot have the Dropbox client due to organizational administrative rules. I hope you guys can sneak that one in.

Matthew G.10
Helpful | Level 6
It looks nicer but I do miss seeing the file sizes.
Also I don't know how I feel about removing the old dropbox context-menu on right-click. I like being able to use the default context menu but sharing files now takes an extra half-second

RichardDBX
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Matthew G.10, quick note that you can sort by file size on the web by clicking the "Members" column header a couple of times. This toggles that column to display different information – one of them being file size! 

Matthew G.10
Helpful | Level 6
I did not know that. Thank you!

ThePhenomenon
New member | Level 2

In the past I used to click the name of files and folders to open them. That was it.

Now, if I happen to have something selected, which happens so often due to the many tasks that are done, clicking on file and folder names no longer opens them! It selects them instead, even though I'm not clicking the selection checkbox on the left, even though I'm clicking the file name link!

This means that now in order to open a folder or file it's necessary to first unselect every file and folder that is checked, and only then click, instead of clicking straight away. And there is no reason for why you coded it like this. None.

There aren't many comments here. Why is the staff not replying with rational arguments to every single comment made? Why aren't they communicating with reason but are instead doing wrongful illogical changes?

Joseph C.23
Collaborator | Level 9
Wait until you discover you can't right-click anymore...

Tom H.21
New member | Level 2

Re clicking Members to get different information: Who designs this way?!  While I'm happy (read: relieved) to have that functionality back (file size), I would NEVER have known about it if I hadn't been poking around in this forum.  Functionality not visible in the UI is pretty useless.  (So what now, I have to click on every... damned.... thing on every Dropbox page, to discover hidden, essential features?)

And please.  We all know you're trying to be Google Drive, but be advised that Google UIs are, on the whole, terrible.  So, don't try too hard!

Robert H.1
Helpful | Level 6
I like check boxes. Makes it easier to control accurately many files through the pages.

luannatomaz
New member | Level 2

Great!

Skyler O.
Helpful | Level 5
Add tagging capabilities to files.  Then add a way to sort/view by tag.  Folders work in some areas but are cumbersome in the photo folder.  This seems like a no brainer but would love to here some technical/marketing/business related reasons why this isn't practical.  I see Dropbox attempting to grow outside of file storage with Paper and the new professional oriented services which is cool BUT Dropbox is used by the masses because it does one thing better than everyone else- effortlessly manages files across multiple platforms.  I want to support Dropbox and see them do awesome.  The direction they seem to be going doesn't appear to jive with the reasons I use the service.  Any thoughts?
Need more support?