cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Product Updates

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: iOS text editor is now available!

iOS text editor is now available!

Ed
Dropbox Staff

We are happy to announce that iOS now has a text editor! You can access this feature on any text file from the toolbar in the lower left corner.

unnamed.gif

56 Replies 56

vincvincvinc
Helpful | Level 5

Great feature! I've been waiting for this for years, using other solutions etc.

Suggestion: It would be perfet if it also worked on my markdown (.md) files!!

bounette
Helpful | Level 6

Oh my God, THANK YOU. I've been waiting for this feature for years. Having to edit hundreds of txts files located in many different folders, this really is a game changer. I've resorted to a bunch of third-party apps, in which I had to keep the files in the app folder, then create aliases to their corresponding folders, thus really complicating my workflow. So this is trully amazing!

Skooter
New member | Level 2

After the latest update I am getting these yellow icons on top of my text in some PDF files. We are building several bridges this summer and I keep PDF files of the construction plans on my mobile devices for quick reference in the field. Now I can't read the dimension which are critical. How do I turn them off??

NOLA
Helpful | Level 5

Is there a FULL-SCREEN MODE on the iPad? It would be wonderful to edit text in full-screen (distraction-free) in Dropbox for iPad. (Have not tested on iPhone yet.)

Other than that. This app within an app is a terrific addition, and thank you for finally creating a text editor. It still amazes me Apple has not made an iOS text editor besides proprietary Apple Pages, which only saves in .pages and not TXT or RTF, and only uses iCloud. Shocking after all these years.

Thanks for catching the ball, Dropbox team!

ilium007
New member | Level 2

It should support any text file regardless of extension. I have some app specific XML files I need to edit on the run. Why is Dropbox giving the ability to edit based on extension and not content ?

cjdshaw
Helpful | Level 6

It's great to have the text editor built in to the app. I'm having a couple of issues with it though:

1: In portrait mode, the keyboard pops up over the bottom of the text file, so the last few lines aren't accessible. This can be fixed by rotating the phone to landscape mode and back.

2: Tapping on a blank line in the file should place the cursor on the blank line, but instead, the cursor is invisible. If you start typing, the text appears before the first character on the next line, rather than on the blank line. If you hold and drag to move the cursor with the magnifying glass, it skips over blank lines

App version 58.2.4

IOS 10.3.3

iPhone 6

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Thanks guys - I'm passing this on to our dev team

Ed
Dropbox Staff

Hi @cjdshaw

We were able to replicate the issue with the keyboard and our team is working on a fix for future releases. 

As for the blank line - Do you have a sample file to share as an example? (please don't send any personal info)

Thanks!

Ed

cjdshaw
Helpful | Level 6

The blank line issue seems only to be on DOS style \r\n files, not UNIX/Mac style \n files. Here's an attached problem file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6e2yxhklvulwijc/Blank_line.txt?dl=0

cjdshaw
Helpful | Level 6

I'm also having a problem with some text files containing the £ symbol that were created on Windows, for instance this one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aglfc6w1d4m8xkg/Pound%20sign.txt?dl=0

Dropbox doesn't give me the option to edit it

Need more support?