cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Product Updates

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: iOS text editor is now available!

iOS text editor is now available!

Ed
Dropbox Staff

We are happy to announce that iOS now has a text editor! You can access this feature on any text file from the toolbar in the lower left corner.

unnamed.gif

56 Replies 56

Timdier
Helpful | Level 6

Bug Report:

Works fine on iPhone 6s.

Only problem I have on my iPad 4 mini is I can’t exit back to the folder list after saving the file. The back-arrow link does not show at the top left, and I am stuck looking at the just edited file. I have to kill the Dropbox app and restart. The file changes are saved however. 

Dropbox v 64.3

ios 11

—Tim 

DanPH77
Helpful | Level 6
If you close the app and you are still backed out of the file when you launch it will sync

Timdier
Helpful | Level 6
Not sure I understand your reply. I know the file is saved, but the Dropbox app is not usable and needs to be killed. The iPad mini version is missing is the “<“ in the upper left corner. It is there on my iPhone.

This is a bug report. I understand the work around, and I am fine with it

Timdier
Helpful | Level 6
Hi all, I just downloaded the iPad update that came out this morning, and the bug has been fixed. THANKS TEAM!
—Tim

Jon T.7
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

I am wondering if there are any updates about this problem.

I have verified that the problem persists:

I can only edit (on my phone) .txt files that I create on my phone, not ones created on my Mac.

Jon

Timdier
Helpful | Level 6
Hi Jon, I have no problem editing the same txt file on my iphone, ipad, and Win10 pc --Tim

Jorgos
New member | Level 2

SO very happy about this new functionality. Some feedback though:

1. I have a text file that is 350 kB big, and it's awfully slow to edit that file. In comparison, a newly created file has almost decent responsiveness.

2. When clicking on the edit icon, the cursor is inserted at the bottom of the file. I always add text to my files at the top. The optimal thing would be to remove the icon and insert the cursor where the user clicks on the file. I understand that it has implications with selection etc, but still more logical IMO.

Jon T.7
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  I verified that if I create a new .txt file on my Mac, it is editable on my phone.  However, an old .txt file (created years ago) that I want to edit is not.  I don't know why, but it's is a solvable problem.

Jon

Graeme B.2
New member | Level 2
Thank you!! I have been waiting for this for years. This makes ios so much more usable for me, and I’ll be in dropbox a lot more.

Not sure how hard it would be, but support for markdown .md files would be great. (They’re effectively plain text)

biggles
Explorer | Level 4
Can you tell me exactly what encoding DB iOS text editor uses when it creates a .txt file? ASCII, UTF-8??

I have a Unicode .txt file that comes up totally blank if I open it DB - in order to view & edit in DB what encoding should I use to save that file?

Need more support?