cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32 bit 2 factor auth

32 bit 2 factor auth

defacto7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi. I want to use Dropbox 2 factor auth on 3 machines, 2 are 64bit Android and my laptop is 32bit Linux. I have both the 2FAS and Dropbox apps on the 64bit devices, the laptop has the Dropbox download for Ubuntu Linux. There is no 2 factor application for i386 Linux but the Firefox browser has a 2FAS extension. I'm not sure if the browser extension works. I can't test it.

Big question: If I configure Dropbox for 2 factor auth on my 64bit devices, will my laptop be locked out of Dropbox if the extension doesn't work? Would I be able to access Dropbox in the laptop's web browser?

Thank you kindly in advance for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

There shouldn't be any issues regarding the 32/64 bit differences, since to Dropbox it is the same process needed to login. As to whether or not using 2FA on a 32 bit Linux device is safe, I couldn't say.

If you're concerned, however, make sure that if you do enable two-step verification, that you have a backup mobile number, and your backup codes saved and printed to ensure you can disable it if it doesn't work on the desktop.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @defacto7, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Are you asking specifically if two-factor authentication is affected by the Androids being 64 bit, as opposed to the desktop which is on 32 bit? 

Or, and you querying whether you can access Dropbox with 2FA using the browser on Linux?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

defacto7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello Jay. Thanks for the reply.

I'm asking ... if I setup 2 factor auth on my 64bit devices, which I can do easily, could I end up locking myself out of Dropbox on my 32bit device? Using 2 factor auth on my 32bit Linux is an unknown. There are no apps for it, just the browser extension which may not work. I can't test it except to try.

Defacto7

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

There shouldn't be any issues regarding the 32/64 bit differences, since to Dropbox it is the same process needed to login. As to whether or not using 2FA on a 32 bit Linux device is safe, I couldn't say.

If you're concerned, however, make sure that if you do enable two-step verification, that you have a backup mobile number, and your backup codes saved and printed to ensure you can disable it if it doesn't work on the desktop.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @defacto7,

2FA is an authentication protocol (or rather protocol extension). It's neither 32, 64, nor any other bit wides. So it's not dependent on particular platform.

@defacto7 wrote:

... Using 2 factor auth on my 32bit Linux is an unknown. ...

What do you mean here unknown? 🤔 In all cases authentication for Dropbox application working on Linux has to be performed in your system browser, not in the application itself. As far as you can log in your Dropbox account in your browser, you can work in your Dropbox application in Linux too (ether 32 or 64 bit). 😉 That's it.

Good luck.

defacto7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hey ...

It's unknown because the extension in Firefox doesn't do anything when I click on the link. That doesn't mean it won't work if I'm on a site that asks for authentication. I've never tried it and I've never used 2 FA yet. Having an 10 year old i386 laptop means the Linux version has limitations on upgrades to Firefox. Although I hate the idea, I guess I need a new laptop.

Thanks

defacto7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks again. As long as I have a way out if it doesn't work on the laptop, I'm fine. It would be too bad though if I had to forego 2 factor auth on all devices just because I have a 32bit laptop that needs Dropbox. Maybe I need a new laptop.

Defacto7

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

defacto7 Helpful | Level 5
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?