cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 digit code required to login, is sent to an email address I can no longer access

6 digit code required to login, is sent to an email address I can no longer access

lihaolin1991
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello, 

I haven't login my dropbox account (not this account asking the question, but the other account) for a long time, and when I try to login it requires the 6-digits code sent to my email address, however, my email address has expired, because I left my previous institute. So my situation can be summarized in the following:

1. email address linked to the account is not accessible, by no chance it can be recovered.

2. I have no device with the account login 

3. I have the password for my dropbox account

What can I do to recover my account?

BTW, I am still paying for the professional plan!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Without access to the email address or a device logged in there is no way to recover it. All you can do is contact support and ask them to stop future payments. 

You'll need to contact Dropbox Support directly. Visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums , and you'll see an option for Billing issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

30 Replies 30

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Without access to the email address or a device logged in there is no way to recover it. All you can do is contact support and ask them to stop future payments. 

You'll need to contact Dropbox Support directly. Visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums , and you'll see an option for Billing issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @lihaolin1991, sorry to see you're having trouble accessing your account.

Once you create your ticket, like Mark suggested, do give us the ticket number, so we can look it up in our system.

Let me know if you come across any trouble.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

lihaolin1991
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Very Sad, I probably will lose all my data.

The possibility of getting back my email account is tiny,  I could try, but it may take several years.

I know it is not possible now, but I suggest that If one could provide you with their payment record from the bank of my credit card, then they should be able to recover their account.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @lihaolin1991, I’m sorry to hear about this. 

While our support team can use billing info in order to locate and cancel a subscription, they can’t use it as proof of account ownership, I’m afraid. 

Another thing you can perhaps try is to check whether you had previously installed the desktop app on one of your computers. If you had, then there’s a chance your local Dropbox folder is still located there, along with your files.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Takashi Sekiguchi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I cannot login my plus acount because Dropbox required 6digit code sent to my E-mail address which I closed the provider acount.
Please instruct me how to login my plus acount.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Takashi Sekiguchi, I hope you're doing well! 

Without access to the email address, I am afraid that there's not much you can do. It wouldn't be possible to read this code, therefore access the account. 

Is it not feasible to recreate the email address and attempt to login again?

Let me know more!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Paridiku1228
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I made an account on Dropbox so it's can't login on Gmail to Google therefor I didn't receive security 6 digit code, where I have to login register Gmail to receive 6 digit code

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Paridiku1228, how are you today?

From your initial message, it's not entirely clear to me if you have access to the account's email address, or not. Can you clarify?

Keep me posted!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

kapygon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,

I want to connect my new computer to my Dropbox account but I can't because I need the 6-digit number. I cannot access the email address easily, but it says I can have the code on other linked devices. I have another computer already connected, how to find the 6-digit code?

kapygon_0-1676217130363.png

Thanks in advance

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    adel2237 Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    michal9 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?