cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to Account

Access to Account

JimmyWil1968
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi

I don't know if I have selected the right location, so I apologise.

I'm struggling to access my Dropbox account. I created a basic account on an email address that is no longer in use. I never created a password for this account and accessed it on my then iPhone 5 with the 4 digit phone passcode. I then upgraded to iPhone 6/7, to which I then accessed via my phone's 6 digit phone passcode.

Fast forward to now - had an iPhone 11 and again accessed this via the 6 digit passcode. I've just transferred to iPhone 13 expecting to just log in with the passcode and it is now asking for a password that I never created and the hotmail email address used is no longer in use and disabled a few years ago. I didn't realise this until after I factory reset the iPhone 11.

I can't access my account now. The email address is no longer in use and as I said, have no password for it. 

I have found the iPhone 5 but it won't let me open the app for whatever reason, but has sent a 6 digit security code notification . I'm not sure what to do with this?

The iPhone 7 won't install as the storage to the phone is full with photos I was desperately trying to retrieve from the app in panic and as a result the app will not now reinstall it's self. 

The account must be somewhere for me to receive the 6 digit security code. I'm at my wits end as, like many, is full of photos that are the only copies of friends, family, children growing up the years and relatives who have long passed.

Please can some help me?

Thanks

Craig

My iphone 13 asks me to log in but I can't as no password. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

JimmyWil1968
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hi again Jay,

Update from Microsoft: “Unfortunately, once an account is closed, there is no way to recover it by any means at any point in time. Microsoft keeps a list of all email addresses created, even the deleted ones. Hence the error that the email is already 'in use'.”.

I’ll learn now to ensure I create an account with password rather than rely on the phones passcode. As well as get physical copies printed.

At least I know that no one else will have access and assumption that Dropbox will eventually close the account linked to my email address and delete the photos from wherever stored.

Not the answers I was looking for and have to accept these are now lost in time, but I thank you for getting back to me and prompt assistance.

All the best,
Craig

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @JimmyWil1968, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I’d recommend getting in contact with our support team directly to look into this matter in more detail.

You can do this by opening an incognito/private browsing window, while not signed into your account, and accessing this link

From there you should be able to contact support. Make sure to enter an email that you can access when submitting the ticket you use to login to Dropbox. 

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JimmyWil1968
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hi Jay,

Thank you for responding. I have emailed support, explained the situation, but have realised a password was never created as my iPhone passcode allowed me access on each phone until my most recent.

I was told: “If you are unable to receive a password reset email using the above method, then you will need to authenticate yourself manually. Please provide the following information:

What is the email for the account you are trying to access?
What is the full name on the account?
When did you create the account?” Etc.

I answered these questions and the query was escalated to be told:

“If you can’t access the email address you use for your Dropbox account and do not know the password, we can’t verify ownership of the account and can’t help you regain access”.

I was then asked to contact Microsoft but told thereafter that my Hotmail account has been removed and deleted within 60 days.

I appreciate what the escalated support is saying about Privacy, but I answered the questions and provided a screenshot of my Dropbox app that showed the showed my old Hotmail email on an old phone before it uninstalled. I thought as much proof as possible would help me retrieve my account.

I have replied informing Support of the outcome of contacting Microsoft and waiting on a reply when time allows.

I don’t know what to do next Jay? Is this account lost for good?

Thanks again for responding. It is much appreciated

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If the support team have advised that there isn't anything else that can be done, then that would be the final answer, unfortunately.

Aside from you somehow getting Microsoft to recreate that email address, there aren't any further steps that Dropbox can assist with, sadly.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JimmyWil1968
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hi Jay,

As I thought 😞

I’ve joined the Microsoft community in hope that someone can help. I’ve tried recreating that account but it shows as unavailable, assumption that it’s waiting to go back into the public domain.

However may I ask now. If someone else is using that email address, what if they have received all the forgotten password emails? They would be able to reset the password out of curiosity and surely be able to access all my personal photos? How can that be?

Thanks again

JimmyWil1968
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hi again Jay,

Update from Microsoft: “Unfortunately, once an account is closed, there is no way to recover it by any means at any point in time. Microsoft keeps a list of all email addresses created, even the deleted ones. Hence the error that the email is already 'in use'.”.

I’ll learn now to ensure I create an account with password rather than rely on the phones passcode. As well as get physical copies printed.

At least I know that no one else will have access and assumption that Dropbox will eventually close the account linked to my email address and delete the photos from wherever stored.

Not the answers I was looking for and have to accept these are now lost in time, but I thank you for getting back to me and prompt assistance.

All the best,
Craig
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JimmyWil1968 Helpful | Level 5
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?