cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account deleted

Account deleted

Morganbarrett
Explorer | Level 3

Why did Dropbox delete my account and files without warning? I’ve tried logging back in to find my account doesn’t exist, I’ve remade one with the same email address and all my files are gone.

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II

@Morganbarrett wrote:
Why did Dropbox delete my account and files without warning?

How long has it been since you last accessed the account? The only time Dropbox would delete your account is if it was idle for more than a year, in which case it would be deleted due to inactivity, per the terms.

Morganbarrett
Explorer | Level 3
So don’t use DropBox for storage, got it.

Rich
Super User II

@Morganbarrett wrote:
So don’t use DropBox for storage, got it.

No, just make sure you actually use Dropbox, and don't leave your account idle for a long time. All it takes is one sign-in every 12 months to keep your account active. Dropbox is not meant for cold storage.

Morganbarrett
Explorer | Level 3
So backups aren’t cold storage? Which they advertise their services for

Rich
Super User II

@Morganbarrett wrote:
So backups aren’t cold storage? Which they advertise their services for

Cold storage services typically require to you to pay for long-term storage. It's similar for Dropbox. If you're not on a paid Dropbox account, then you need to sign in to your account at least once per year to keep your account active.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Morganbarrett Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?