cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you new to Dropbox? Our Newcomers group is the perfect place to learn the basics, find out more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Age restriction problem

Age restriction problem

OliverPavlicek
New member | Level 2

Hey guys, I am 15 years old and I have dropbox with my family and we have some kind of subsciption too. I have many and many photos and stuff on my account which I dont want to lose them. Unfortunately after logging in today after some time Dropbox asked me for my age I typed in my real year which I was born. Dont judge me for using wrong year of birth whole time everyone done that atleast once. So now I have this message from Dropbox that I have to download my stuff until 48 hours and after that I will have my account blocked.. I really dont want to lose my stuff because of this I dont think its fair tbh. I dont even get it why its restricted for 16 yo minimum when its under parents control but okay. Can you guys help me or suggest me what to do? Is there any way how to get support from Dropbox support team before 48 hours? Thanks and sorry for my English im not a native speaker lol

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II

If you are under 16 due to laws in the United States where Dropbox is based you are unable to have an account. 

As the message says you need to download everything and store it in another system. Then ask a legal guardian to set one up for you until you are 16 and use that. 

See https://help.dropbox.com/account-settings/dropbox-family-age-requirements for more info. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

OliverPavlicek
New member | Level 2

Im going to be 16 in couple months. Can I just normally use it after im 16? Like if it will be unlocked when its going to be locked now?

Mark
Super User II

No, you will need to set up a new account when you are 16. 

Unfortunately, simply put, your data is going to be lost if you dont download it now. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

OliverPavlicek
New member | Level 2

For real? I have maybe many many GB of stuff. This cant be real bruh. This is honestly absurd from Dropbox. What If I dont have that much space they will just delete my files like nothing after years of my money spent on Dropbox? Im sorry but this is ridiculous behavior from their side. I get it that I cheated my age but this is too much. I dont think that I can download everything, what they expect me to do bruh. Im really pissed with this behavior. 

Mark
Super User II

Its a legal requirement. And yes, its for real. It has happened lots. 

As it says 48 hours after the notification you are logged out of all devices and all data is removed. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    OliverPavlicek New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?