cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox just makes me angry. Is anyone really satisfied with it?

All files gone

Sawyer1971
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

For a decade or more I've used Dropbox as a place where I store files from jobs I've worked on. These are files I don't work on anymore, but use to look things up. Last week I wanted to check something, and discovered that my Dropbox was empty. Except for the file "how to start with Dropbox", all my files are gone.  I contacted customer service. To no avail. Do files go missing more often on dropbox? Can we sue Dropbox if they do? Anybody with experience in this? 

16 Replies 16

Sawyer1971
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I lost all my files (totally everything) from my dropbox. I certainly didn't delete it. It was my history of jobs I do as a freelancer. More than a decade of history! Dropbox is not able to restore it. Oh, how I wish I had made back-ups!

Sawyer1971
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Megan,

It was 3 or 4 months ago. I have the mobile app but use web-based as well. I lost all my files (totally everything) from my dropbox. I certainly didn't delete them.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox can only replicate what it is told to do @Sawyer1971 - what is www.dropbox.com/events showing?

And yes, sadly, everybody should ALWAYS have multiple backups available. Been burnt that way myself 😞

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Sawyer1971
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Mark,

My dropbox is completely empty: no files, no folders, no history, no events. Just the one file "how to get started with Dropbox." I get that computers only do what they're told to do, but in this case I most certainly never told anything to delete the files. 

Best, Erik

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Sawyer1971, is it possible that you have two Dropbox accounts, and that you opened a new account by mistake? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Sawyer1971 wrote:

You say Dropbox cannot delete the files, but I lost all my files (totally everything) from my dropbox.

That's correct; Dropbox cannot delete files from your account. The only time they're able to delete anything is if your account is unpaid and idle for more than a year, then the entire account is deleted due to inactivity. Otherwise all deletions are either triggered by you, a device/service linked to your account or someone else with access to the files, such as in a shared folder.

If files are missing from your account, check your Events page for information. If the files aren't listed on the Events page then they were either deleted beyond the time that the Events page covers, or the files were never synced to your account online. If the Events page is blank, you're likely signed in to a different (empty) account.

Buleever2
New member | Level 2

NEVER MIND!  How embarrassing.  I logged on with a different email address.  Please forgive my mistake.

Need more support?