cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't log in to account due to expired password

Can't log in to account due to expired password

Nyfromne
Explorer | Level 3

I have two problems.

1. My business account is tied to an email address that no longer exists and my password has expired, therefor I can long in

2. My personal account is tied to the correct email address and I need to move a folder from my personal to my business account, but it will only let me copy the link, which I can't send to my old email address/business account?

8 Replies 8

Mark
Super User II

Hi @Nyfromne 

Without access to the email it isnt possible to get access to an account or the email changed. You'll need to either log in and download everything and set up a new account or ask for the email to be reset.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Nyfromne
Explorer | Level 3

Would it be advisable to open a new account and move everything from the account (with the email address that is no longer working) into one account- my newer email address? or is doing that a problem because that email address is already used as a personal account?  Maybe I can upgrade the newer email, move everything over from both and start fresh?

Mark
Super User II

You wont be able to set up a new account with the email already in use. 

So, you could move it to the account with the email in use already OR change the email on that account to a different one and then set up a new account with the old email you just released. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Nyfromne, and sorry for jumping in.

If your Dropbox password has expired, you can perhaps check if there’s any device still linked to your Business account. If there is, you can give these steps a go.

Otherwise, please open a browser on which you’re NOT signed in to any Dropbox account and open a ticket via this link. As soon as you’ve done this, please pass your ticket number to me here, and I’ll assign your case to a support agent, so that they can see what other options there may be. 

As per the folder that you mention, can you send me a screenshot of what you see exactly, when trying to share it from your personal account?

Thanks!

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Nyfromne
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Nancy,

Unfortunately, the only two email accounts I have (or I should say had), both have accounts with Dropbox so I can't do what you are asking.  Here's what the situation looks like.

[removed per Community Guidelines] is an email address that is no longer in use, but it's the account tied to my dropbox plus account

[removed per Community Guidelines] is my free/personal account that I guess I need my Plus account moved to and upgraded, then I need to cancel my plus account tied to [removed per Community Guidelines] account

How do I do this?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi again, @Nyfromne, and Happy New Year!

I’ve removed your email addresses from the forum, since it’s public and anyone can see them. 

Is it alright if I log a ticket for you instead and send it over to the email address that’s linked to your Community profile here? Do you have access to it?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Nyfromne
Explorer | Level 3

Yes that's fine, I just don't know if I have access to it?  How would I know?

Corey

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@Nyfromne, you should be able to see the email address to which I'll message you by clicking here.

Are you able to log in to that email address after inserting the relevant password?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Nyfromne Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?