cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: DropBox shows wrong name on desktop notification when someone adds a file to a shared folder

DropBox shows wrong name on desktop notification when someone adds a file to a shared folder

Samir_E
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

just came back to Dropbox after many years of not using it. Sharing folders with other users and one of them has the same email address that a user on the same domain had many, many years ago. I have not (knowingly) connected my Dropbox to any other service, email client, Gmail or similar. I have no "connected apps" or at least I do not see any on my account under the General tab.

I have checked so I don't have this old user in any address book of mine (only the new user). I have searched for this problem and someone had a similar problem regarding getting emails with the wrong name but that does not apply to my problem since it is the notification that pops up on desktop when someone is adding a file to one of my shared folders that gives the wrong information. Quite annoying since the person that comes up in the popup is someone I do not want to have anything to do with while the new person (who has the same email address) is very likable.

Does anybody know where I can delete the entries that Dropbox obviously has sucked up without my knowledge once upon a time and that I now cannot get rid of?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II

Dropbox also pulls info through from what the user has on their account. So, have you checked that the recycled account user has update their info at www.dropbox.com/account ?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II

You can go to https://www.dropbox.com/account/general and click on the 'Clear' next to manually added accounts

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Samir_E
Explorer | Level 4

Hello Mark,

thanks for answering me but before I wrote in the forum I read as much as I could and your suggestion was something I tried. No change in behavior after Clear was clicked. So unfortunately, this is not the solution. It feels like Dropbox is saving my earlier contacts somewhere where I have no control over them. This is not even according to GDPR but that is another question.

Mark
Super User II

Dropbox also pulls info through from what the user has on their account. So, have you checked that the recycled account user has update their info at www.dropbox.com/account ?

Samir_E
Explorer | Level 4

Absolutely correct, the new user did not react that it wasn't his name on the account... Now it is correct.

Thank you for your input!

Best regards

Samir

Need more support?