cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gain acces to a server with dp account and deleting a dropbox account is possible?

Gain acces to a server with dp account and deleting a dropbox account is possible?

Oscar Tecnia
New member | Level 2

Hello, my question is:

if a hacker enters my computer via remote desktop, which has the dropbox account with the windows desktop app installed.

And that hacker or malicious person delete my files, then he goes to the dropbox website from the app (by clicking the globe icon, which then opens the browser with your dropbox account), and then choose to permanently deleting the files after deleting the files.

Can these files be recovered?

And even more, if the hacker from the web decides to cancel the account, it could be recovered.

This worries me because I have seen in person how a windows server had the windows desktop app installed to synchronize company files, and a hacker connected via console to encrypt the entire network and of course the dropbox files (which It would be easy to rewind) but, if that hacker had connected to lawe and permanently deleted the files, or terminated the account, what could we do?

1 Reply 1

Mark
Super User II

Can these files be recovered?

Hi @Oscar Tecnia 

Simply put, no they couldnt. If files are permanently deleted or an account is closed then those files/account is lost forever. 

Simply put. You need to secure your system so they cannot get in AND have the appropriate disaster recover and backup plans in place.

ts also worth noting that Dropbox is NOT supported on Windows server so things may not work as expected on it anyway or if you have issues not being able to get support from Dropbox as you are using the product outside of what it should be used: https://help.dropbox.com/installs/system-requirements#windows

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?