cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I received notification that someone accessed my Dropbox account

I received notification that someone accessed my Dropbox account

SDD76
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello, 

I received an email indicating a new connection on my dropbox when I did not go there.

How can I find out more ?

I,am afraid that data could have been recovered without my knowledge. I changed my password yesterday and deleted devices and browser in the configuration.

thank you for your reply

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@SDD76 wrote:

I changed my password yesterday and deleted devices and browser in the configuration.

That's all you can do. As long as you changed your password and removed any unrecognized devices, then no one else should be able to access your account.

Unfortunately, there's no way to know if they viewed or downloaded any files before you removed their access. The Events page will show you if anything was deleted, however.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@SDD76 wrote:

I changed my password yesterday and deleted devices and browser in the configuration.

That's all you can do. As long as you changed your password and removed any unrecognized devices, then no one else should be able to access your account.

Unfortunately, there's no way to know if they viewed or downloaded any files before you removed their access. The Events page will show you if anything was deleted, however.

SDD76
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

thank you much for your answer, 

no one at dropbox can tell me the location of the IP that connected for example ? This will let me know if I need to review my entire security system. If it is a connection in the hearth I would worry less.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @SDD76, if you access the devices page, as you received an unknown login, then you can check for recent website logins and devices. Hovering over the i icon will show the IP address of that login.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@SDD76 wrote:

no one at dropbox can tell me the location of the IP that connected for example ?

IP location data is mostly useless. It won't be the actual location of the person using that IP address. It will be the address of the data center (or headquarters) of the company that owns the IP address. For instance, if I look up my current IP address, it shows a city on the opposite end of the state that I'm in, hours away from my actual location.

SDD76
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank much for your answer, 

In the panic I deleted all connected or formerly connected devices and browsers. So I don't have the possibility to see it (unless there is possibly a "trash" on your side or log to see more information ? Thank you again for your help, it would reassure me to know more. Connexion took place on august 19 at 11:58 am

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @SDD76, and sorry for jumping in. 

If you’ve unlinked the unknown device from your Security page, I’m afraid it’s not possible to see more details. 

However, if you’re still concerned about the security of your Dropbox account, then I’d definitely recommend enabling two-step verification, as well, as an extra measure of security.

Hope this helps!

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    SDD76 Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?