cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is my account hacked?

Is my account hacked?

brzoserr
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello, today’s night I received and email from Dropbox that I think might be a prove someone hacked my account or maybe a phone(?). The title is saying “ NOTE: We recommend completing your Dropbox setup as soon as possible”
And under this is a message:
“ Your files are about to be ready to upload

Click below to see how easy it is to complete the Dropbox setup: you will have access to your files from anywhere.

Keep going

Do you have questions? Visit our help center for answers to frequently asked questions.”

This email is from no-reply@dropbox.com so it looks legit. Email was sent at 4:55 and it looks like someone checked some files from my account and wanted to download it and then Dropbox sent me this email. I’m not sure what to think about this because I didn’t touch my phone at this time, but when I did see this email, I took my laptop, downloaded Dropbox and started to downloading some files on it and I didn’t receive any messages like that one from earlier. Of course I changed my password and every time when I logged in to another device I got email saying that someone logged into my account (I didn’t receive message like this before).

I’m writing here because I wanted to make sure if I need to hard reset my device, or maybe this is something like a normal message reminding to me that I might want to do something with my files.
I’m not sure that’s important but my account wasn’t used in something about 5 years because I achieved limit for free space and just left it like this.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Amazing job on the screenshot, thank you @brzoserr!

I can confirm that this email is indeed from an official Dropbox domain. It might have been automatically sent by mistake. 

If you managed to sign into your account, and checked that everything is the way it should be, then feel free to ignore it. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @brzoserr, thanks for using Dropbox and welcome to our Community!

Could you please double check and confirm that this email comes from an official domain of Dropbox?

Also, do you see any suspicious devices or web sessions in your account's Security page? What about your events page?

Keep us posted on your findings and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

brzoserr
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Thank you for answer.
Yes, email domain looks alright.
No, I don’t see any suspicious devices.
This is why I decided to post here, I didn’t find anything saying straight that someone have access to my Dropbox account but this is why this email from Dropbox is more curious. Why would they send me anything like “ Your files are about to be ready to upload” when nobody did anything at this time? That’s why it looks like someone could have access to my devise (not physically, maybe through some hacking methods) and wanted to download my files and that’s when I got this email. But as I said before, after this I took my laptop and tried to download some files and I got no messages from Dropbox like that one from earlier

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @brzoserr, great job on changing the password to the account, and troubleshooting steps you followed!

Can you send me a screenshot of the email itself, in order for me to also have a visual? Just make sure no personal info is shown there, like your email address. 

Thanks!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

brzoserr
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Of course I can send it but I’m on my phone right now and I can’t post it here. Any advice how or where can I send it?

Edit: Alright, I'm on my laptop right now and I can post here a screenshot. Unfortunatelly it is in polish language, but in my first post here, I translated it

IMG-5157.PNG

IMG-5158.jpg

  

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Amazing job on the screenshot, thank you @brzoserr!

I can confirm that this email is indeed from an official Dropbox domain. It might have been automatically sent by mistake. 

If you managed to sign into your account, and checked that everything is the way it should be, then feel free to ignore it. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

brzoserr
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Alright, thank you for you help!

brzoserr
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello again,

today morning i received another email from dropbox, could you look at this?

It says: 

Attached: downloads are already waiting

We invite you to download Dropbox desktop app

Our application adds a folder on the desktop that allows you to automatically synchronize files with the cloud.

Click to continue

Dropbox International Unlimited Company

One Park Place, Hatch St. Dublin 2, Ireland

View privacy policy | Cancel subscription  © 2022 Dropbox

IMG-5190.PNG

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @brzoserr, can you clarify if it's coming from an official Dropbox domain this time too?

Also, is the desktop app already installed on your device?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

brzoserr
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Yes, this is the same domain like the previous one and yes, I have already installed desktop app on my laptop
Need more support?