cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just tried logging in to find that my account had been deleted.

Just tried logging in to find that my account had been deleted.

thevisualedge
New member | Level 2

I've had a professional Dropbox account for well over a decade, and have used it to store tons of professional video projects, as well as important personal information that I don't want on my local machines.

Well, today, a client asked for a link to some photos that I had uploaded months ago.  When I tried to go into Dropbox, I was logged out, which was odd.  So I tried logging back in, and my username and password didn't work.  When I tried logging in via desktop browser, I was informed that my email "is linked to a deleted account," and was asked to re-register.  How is this possible?  I wasn't hacked--my Dropbox account had a very complex password and 2FA enabled.  And from navigating this site, it appears next-to-impossible to get help from someone who actually works at Dropbox.  

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II

How long ago did you last log in @thevisualedge ? If it was over 12 months then inactive accounts are removed (with prior warning via email) - this isnt the case if accounts are paid. If that happens there is no way to recover data. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

thevisualedge
New member | Level 2

I use Dropbox several times a week, and I'm a paying member.  

As I think about it, one issue might be that over the last several months, I've been linked to a client's Dropbox who recently removed me from their account.  But that should have only removed my access to *them*, no?  I can't wrap my head around how they could inadvertently delete my entire account.  I never approved their access to all my files.  

Rich
Super User II

@thevisualedge wrote:

... I've been linked to a client's Dropbox who recently removed me from their account.  But that should have only removed my access to *them*, no?

No. If you joined a client's Business team and were later removed from it, your account would be deleted.

When you join a Business team account your account is merged into the team account, effectively making the business the owner of your account. Your files remain separate from the team (although the admin can access them) and you gain access to the team folders, but the account is no longer yours, technically speaking.

When you are removed from the team, your account and files are deleted. If the intent was to leave the team and keep your account, instead of removing you from the team the team admin should convert your account back to an individual account. If your account was removed from the team and you still need it, the team admin can restore your account, but they only have seven days from the date of deletion to do so. Once restored, they need to convert your account back to an individual account.

thevisualedge
New member | Level 2

In what universe does it make sense that joining a team should give them admin authority over all of my personal files?  This is such a nightmare.

I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever again allow my account to be linked to another.  

I'm reaching out to my client, but if they only have 7 days to restore my account, I fear that has already passed.  

I've depended on this account for over ten years and have files on it from as far back as that.  I can't believe this.

Mark
Super User II

@thevisualedge 

You are told that doing the onboarding process - so much so it tries to force you to set up a new account. You grant them that because the plan is a business one. It is designed/intended for people who work for one organisation so it makes sense the business controls its assets (ie. the work for people who it employs). Same as if you were working on their network using their devices etc. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rich
Super User II

@thevisualedge wrote:

In what universe does it make sense that joining a team should give them admin authority over all of my personal files?

Joining a Business team isn't the same as simply sharing a folder with someone. It's something meant for teams of people to be able to collaborate on the same files while taking advantage of the shared storage that's available to the entire team. Each member has a folder for their own files and access to the shared team folder, but the team admin still owns the team account and all licenses that are part of it (by joining the team, you used one of their licenses).

If you just need to share files with a client, all that is needed is a shared folder, especially for any short-term collaboration.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Mark Super User II
    thevisualedge New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?