cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Lost the ability to manage shares as admin

Lost the ability to manage shares as admin

Michael_QM
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi everyone!

I'm quite confused since Dropbox seemed to get rid of one of our most used admin-features.

In the past (until early march) i was able to browse and search folders which are shared between users, even if i (as an admin) did not have any permissions to them. I could then click "manage" and change ownership, add/remove users, etc, but couldn't browse the content (via this page https://www.dropbox.com/team/admin/content/home). This resulted in a notification to the owner of the share.

Now, this feature seems to be completely gone. I already had a discussion with the support-team via mail. I'm not sure if they got what i was referring to, but the statement was "there was propably a change, it's not possible".

Actually i am quite shocked that this was removed without any notice (at least i can't find anything). We can't be the only company using and missing this feature, right? It was quite elemental for our daily user-support until now.

Am i missing something here? Is it still somehow possible to administrate all shared folders without being authorized by the owner?

Best regards,
Michael

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Michael_QM
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Just to leave a little update here, in case if anyone else is experiencing the same issue:

The problem was, that this feature got removed automatically, since we reached 250 users. Due to performance and overview issues, the feature is only available for smaller teams.

However, Dropbox re-enabled this feature for us since we needed it and performance is not an issue until now.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Michael_QM, let's see what we can find together on this! 

Have you taken any time to look into this Help Center article? If not, can you give it a go, and let me know if the instructions found there work for you?

Keep me posted on the results! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Michael_QM
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Megan,

thanks for your response, but neither this, nor any other help-center article i found is dealing with my problem described above.

I am aware how to monitor my teams activity, but i actually want to administrate their stuff.

Best regards,
Michael

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Michael_QM, sorry to jump into your conversation with Megan. 

Can you please clarify the issue a little bit, though, just so that I'm sure what we're dealing with?

Are you saying that if you go to the 'content' tab in your admin console, you're no longer able to search for folders?

Do you not see the search bar there at all?

If so, can you login from a different browser or an incognito/private browsing window, to check if you get the same behavior?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Michael_QM
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Hannah, thanks for assisting.

The behaviour is the same, with several admin-accounts and different browsers.

The search bar is there and working, but not searching through ALL content as expected.

I'll try to construct an example:

We have a folder called "CEO", which was created by and shared between our 3 CEOs only.

I'm not part of the CEOs mentioned, i am just a Dropbox-Admin.

In the past, i was able to go to 'content' page, search for "CEO" and got the folder as search-result.

I could not view the contents, but i was able to hit the "Manage" button. In there, i was able to see current permissions (the 3 CEOs). I was also able to change permission, like adding/removing users. The actions i made there, resulted in a notification to the owner of the folder, telling him that me, the admin, made changes on this share.

Right now, searching for "CEO" in the 'content' page (or anywhere else), i don't get the folder as a search result anymore (though i am sure it exists, it's just one of hundreds of examples).

Therefore, i am not able to see or manage the permissions.

I hope it is now a little bit clearer, what i am referring to 🙂

Best regards,

Michael

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Michael_QM, I'd recommend getting in contact with the support team directly for further assistance.

Once you get a ticket ID from the automated response, please let me know the number here so I can locate it in our system.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Michael_QM
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

i was in contact with support some days ago, but couldn't find any help there.

Ticket ID: 16136020

Best regards,
Michael

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the update. As you're already in contact with a support agent who can view more account-specific details, it would be better to continue troubleshooting with them directly via email.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Michael_QM
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Just to leave a little update here, in case if anyone else is experiencing the same issue:

The problem was, that this feature got removed automatically, since we reached 250 users. Due to performance and overview issues, the feature is only available for smaller teams.

However, Dropbox re-enabled this feature for us since we needed it and performance is not an issue until now.

Need more support?