cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to make sure we keep you updated on the ideas that other users have shared here on the Community? Us too! Check them out over here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask
Reply and help

Re: Need to change my e-mail

Need to change my e-mail

JarnoLee
Explorer | Level 4

Hi all,

I came to the problem that i need to change my email in my dropbox account (I cannot acces the old email anymore, in all microsofts goodness they seem to have decided to lock my email, and believe me i tried to appeal). Yet i don't seem to recall my password at all after countless tries. So without e-mail i can't change my password and without password i can't change my e-mail.

However, i am still able to loggin with the google + autenticater combination, so everything is still fucntional. But i am worried that in the futhure this is gonna lead to problems.

Since i am still logged in and can loggin i'd say it should be easy enough to validate my account and show that i am the owner. What i need/want is to get in contact with someone from Dropbox so that we can look into this case and see if there is a way we can come to agreement for changing my current email.

Hope someone can help me! 😄
I'd be happy to answer any questions neede to progress

5 Replies 5

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @JarnoLee, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

In general, we do recommend having access to the email address associated with your account. 

Just for clarification, you mention that you're still able to login to the site, since it sounds like you're using two-step verification.

What happens if you attempt to edit the email on this page?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

JarnoLee
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay!

Thanks for your reply. Yes i am still able to loggin using the google button in combination with a 2fa code (which bypass the password). So i still have, atleast for the time being, full and complete acces to my account.

I have tried to change my email on the link you provided. It seems to bring me to the general information of my profile. The issue is that in order to change my email, i need to fill in my actualy password which i can't seem to remember (2fa is a blessing and a curse, i didn't need my password for years haha).

So as mentioned, to change my email the normal way i need my password. And to change my password i need an e-mail. Both not availible... 😞
And endless loop

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey @JarnoLee, thanks for the additional information. 

I'm afraid in this case, we won't be able to help much without access to the email address and the password of the account.

Since you're already logged into the account though, I'd suggest that you create a new account with an email address you can access at the moment and then move the files from the old account to the new one either by using a shared folder or by downloading the files from your old account and re-uploading them to the new one. 

I know it's not much, but I hope this helps to some extent. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

JarnoLee
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter, thanks for your reply.

I was afraid for that answer. I've been thinking about another account but... I've gathered a lot of extra storage space over the many years being active on dropbox and it's such a pity to lose that...

Would it be possible to get in contact with someone who has the rights or the ability to adjust my email from behind the screen? I would be happy to take extensive steps to prove that i am the owner of the account, especially since I still have access. I can't imagine that would be very hard...

Kind regards,
Jarno

Walter
Dropboxer

I can't promise anything on this as the aforementioned ways to do this would be the best option here, Jarno.

That said, I can send you an email to have a further look internally if you like.

Let me know and I'll use the email address that's associated with your profile here, on our Community. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?