cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you new to Dropbox? Our Newcomers group is the perfect place to learn the basics, find out more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New login email notifications every minute. How to stop them?

New login email notifications every minute. How to stop them?

debbiemaycry
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi!

So today I logged into my Dropbox account via the Chrome web browser and started getting "We noticed a new sign in to your Dropbox" about twice every minute. I've already opened one of them and confirmed it was me, and also closed the tab where I had my Dropbox open, but the barrage of emails won't stop. I've received like 40 already. Can someone please help? It's driving me insane because my phone vibrates every time I receive one. I guess I will deactivate these types of notifications, but it has to be a bug, right? How can I fix it?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

debbiemaycry
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Oh, nevermind. I think it's stopped by itself already. Just in case it happens to someone else, the bug will probably last between 15-20 minutes and then resolve. 

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

debbiemaycry
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Oh, nevermind. I think it's stopped by itself already. Just in case it happens to someone else, the bug will probably last between 15-20 minutes and then resolve. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @debbiemaycry, sorry to hear about this, and I’m glad the emails stopped shortly after. 

If this happens again, give me a shout and I’ll investigate further. 

Cheers!

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

nichs2
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Every time I log into this Dropbox account from the same browser I receive an email with the subject heading we noticed a new sign in to your Dropbox account asking if I logged in. Why?   I appreciate Dropbox are looking after my security but surely they can identify that I am logging in from the same laptop and using the same browser.  How do I retain the security but cease the email when I use the same laptop/browser?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @nichs2, are you using an incognito/private browsing window? 

Do you have any proxy, VPN, or extensions in your browser that could be clearing cookies?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

nichs2
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Jay.  I don't use an incognito/private browsing window.  I have extensions for Bitdefender, Last Pass and Ecosia but don't believe these are the cause of my problem.  I use Chrome as my preferred browser.  

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Have you tried disabling the email notification in the account settings to prevent receiving these messages?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

nichs2
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Yes, about two hours ago I unticked the box 'A new browser is used to sign in'.  The difficulty with this setting is that I would like to know if there is a login using a new browser and my login details for security purposes and ignore the browser I usually use.   

I have reticked the box and have received 2 emails almost immediately!   

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The system would only send that email if you sign out of your browser each time you login, or if the cookies are cleared, or if your computer IP changes.

Can you check on this page to see if the latter to be the case, by hovering over the different browser login sessions?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

nichs2
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Jay.  Its morning here again. 

The last 12 sessions over 6 days used the same IP address but prior to that there were two or three different IP addresses.  I did change the modem about a week ago but wouldn't have thought that would make a difference, or does it?  

I clear cookies irregularly so that wouldn't be the reason why it happens each time.

I use +Type app as my browser on my phone and this doesn't show up in the web browser history. 

I just click (x) out of Dropbox when I finish what I am doing and do the same out of my browser.   

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    nichs2 Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?