cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phishing email attempt or real email?

Phishing email attempt or real email?

iamveryconfused12
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 10.20.50 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-10-19 at 10.21.34 AM.png

Hi there - I couldnt find anywhere to contact support but I had something sent to me via Dropbox. Never had anything sent before so I wasn't sure if this was a phishing attempt.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@iamveryconfused12 wrote:

... I had something sent to me via Dropbox. Never had anything sent before so I wasn't sure if this was a phishing attempt.

It could be a fake phishing email with a spoofed sender address (very easy to do) or (most likely) it could be a phishing attempt that's just using Dropbox as the transfer service. If you don't know who sent it and don't trust it, don't open it. Forward it to abuse@dropbox.com.

I get crap like this all the time through Gmail/Drive and I just ignore it. If it's legitimate and important, the person sending it will most likely contact you.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@iamveryconfused12 wrote:

... I had something sent to me via Dropbox. Never had anything sent before so I wasn't sure if this was a phishing attempt.

It could be a fake phishing email with a spoofed sender address (very easy to do) or (most likely) it could be a phishing attempt that's just using Dropbox as the transfer service. If you don't know who sent it and don't trust it, don't open it. Forward it to abuse@dropbox.com.

I get crap like this all the time through Gmail/Drive and I just ignore it. If it's legitimate and important, the person sending it will most likely contact you.

iamveryconfused12
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for posting that email - I couldn't find an actual contact. Have a good one kind person! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

iamveryconfused12 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?