cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We’ve covered lots of big life moments in our ‘How we use Dropbox’ series - and now we even have some tips on how you can use Dropbox to keep the planning of a wedding as easy and as painless as possible over here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publicly Sharing a Single File in a Team Folder

Publicly Sharing a Single File in a Team Folder

pbarmak
Explorer | Level 3

We have a Team Folder whose permissions are set to not share links with anyone outside the organization. Within that folder, we have a single file that we want to override those permissions for. We want to share just that one file within the Team folder with anyone who has the link, including non-members.

When I look in the management console on that file, Dropbox does not give me the option to create a link that is public. Instead, it seems I have to create a sub-folder within the Team Folder, set the permissions on that sub-folder to allow public links, and then copy the file into that sub-folder so we can then create a public link to it. Alternatively, we can move the file there, but that just confuses team members who work on the file (they have to hunt through more sub-folders).

This seems like an inefficient workaround. It means creating a bunch of sub-folders (for each file we want to have special permissions on) and then copying the file there. That means multiple copies of files, not a good idea.

Is there a way to override Team folder settings just for a single file within that folder? Or is this method of creating sub-folders the only way to share a file to non-members?

4 Replies 4

Re: Publicly Sharing a Single File in a Team Folder

Megan
Dropboxer

Hi @pbarmak, welcome to our Community! 

You already pointed out all the alternatives to this. You can either change the permissions of the entire team folder, or work with sub-folders in there that you'd change their individual settings. 

Another alternative would be for you to move the file in your personal folder, outside of the team folder and share it with everyone you need to, including team members. 

I hope this clarifies. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

pbarmak
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan,

Thanks for the reply. That's unfortunate that DB doesn't provide the option to override permission settings on a single file, only folders. Is there a site/page where we can request features? I think this would be a very useful one to those of us who use team folders a lot.

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @pbarmak, you can suggest this change for others to vote on, so the dev team can look into this in future.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

pbarmak
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you. Just so folks have a link, I added the suggestion here:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Publicly-Share-a-Single-File-in-a-Team-Folder/idi-p/59...

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

pbarmak Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropboxer
    Megan Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?