cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Regulate access to folders

Regulate access to folders

MargoK
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

We are a small society with a board, secretariat and several committees . We have a business Dropbox account with 4 team members.

What we need:
Multiple folders that are owned by Admin. Access to these folders upon invitation (but not through a link) by coworkers and people outside of de Dropbox Team. Some people should have edit rights, most should have viewing rights.

Current status: folders are owned by Admin. Admin made folders inside the Team Folder. Team members were denied access (because I do not want all of them to have access) and I invited a Team member and people outside Dropbox team, some with edit and some with viewing rights. That is how I want it, but making it so seems to have messed with 1 Team member’s access both to Team folder as with a folder it owns itself. Can this be caused by how I organized things or not?

Dropbox chat suggests I use groups to grant access to folders. Is this necessary/better? I don’t think I can give some group members edit and others viewing rights?

I am questioning how many team members I need. Maybe 1 is enough, or just a second as backup?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @MargoK, happy Monday! How are you today? 

When you say that this caused problems to the member's access, can you share some additional info on this? Can they see the folder, when visiting their sharing tab?

The first thing that also came to mind was indeed using Groups. However there are two limitations you might want to keep in mind: one is that you wouldn't be able to add people outside of the Team to a group. 

And also, that you can give different permissions to people of the same group, however not individual ones.

As for members, 3 is the minimum amount of licenses when owning a Business team. Of course, that depends on the Team's needs. 

If you have any other questions, let me know! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @MargoK, happy Monday! How are you today? 

When you say that this caused problems to the member's access, can you share some additional info on this? Can they see the folder, when visiting their sharing tab?

The first thing that also came to mind was indeed using Groups. However there are two limitations you might want to keep in mind: one is that you wouldn't be able to add people outside of the Team to a group. 

And also, that you can give different permissions to people of the same group, however not individual ones.

As for members, 3 is the minimum amount of licenses when owning a Business team. Of course, that depends on the Team's needs. 

If you have any other questions, let me know! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

MargoK
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you for your reply. I fount out while writing this reply that they can now access all folders as intended - apparently it took someone's system somewhere some time to get this right.

Groups are not the way to go then for me - thank you for clearing that up. Dropbox chat led me to believe inviting people from outside was possible.

And I think I will limit our Team members to 3, we really don't need more than that.

This has been extremely helpful, thanks again!

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @MargoK, you can always try sharing the folder directly with people outside of your Team, or even team members too. 

I am glad everything has been resolved, and I'm always at your service to provide any help or answers! Enjoy your day!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?