cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAM Warning

SCAM Warning

ads1212
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Yesterday I received this scam email purporting to be Dropbox. I was initially freaked out by receiving this but when I checked Dropbox online, no files had been deleted.

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 11.47.58.png

Warning to all others… Admins pls take note and deal. #scam

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @ads1212, how are you today?

If you take a look at the email address of the sender, you will see that it uses a legit Dropbox domain, meaning this is a legit Dropbox email.

If you look at your events page like Rich suggested, are you able to see any deletion events related to these files?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@ads1212 wrote:

Yesterday I received this scam email purporting to be Dropbox. I was initially freaked out by receiving this but when I checked Dropbox online, no files had been deleted.

Was it actually a scam email, where the links within it went to a scam site, or does it actually look legitimate? Also, have you moved or renamed any large files recently? If so, that usually generates one of those deletion emails (Dropbox sees a rename/move as a deletion of one item and a creation of a new item).

ads1212
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
I’m not stupid enough to click a link on a suspected scam email. And to answer your question no, I have not renamed or fiddled with 93,000 files.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@ads1212 wrote:
I’m not stupid enough to click a link on a suspected scam email

You don't have to click on a link in an email to know where it points to. Just hover your cursor over it.

ads1212
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
Let’s keep on topic.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@ads1212 wrote:
Let’s keep on topic.

It is on topic. I pointed out a way to help determine if what you received is a legitimate email or not. I'd check carefully because it's looks identical to a real one, such as this:

2c5dd2ea56c85c33a85039533b6d907c.png

Yes, it could be fake, but the only way to tell is if you check where the links are actually pointing to. If they point to a valid Dropbox domain then it's likely a real message and should be taken seriously. I'd also suggest you check your Events page to view the recent activity on your account.

ads1212
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
Thanks for that. I’m on a Mac and when I hover over the URL, it does not show me where it points to. I have checked my dropbox deleted items and the thousands of files that the email say were deleted are not there. Dropbox has been really slack at following up my report to them. Very disappointing.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @ads1212, how are you today?

If you take a look at the email address of the sender, you will see that it uses a legit Dropbox domain, meaning this is a legit Dropbox email.

If you look at your events page like Rich suggested, are you able to see any deletion events related to these files?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    ads1212 Helpful | Level 7
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?