cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Trace device used to access / move folder?

Trace device used to access / move folder?

deplandscape
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi,

Last week some files were moved ( I think in a failed attempt to copy them.. )  on our dropbox folder. 

I can see which files were accessed at the time this began, through the file activity. Is there any way of finding what the device was that moved the folders? 

I've had to reset all security and remove all trusted devices since  - to prevent this from happening again.

I think someone who had access through the mobile app has sneaked through the net when resetting security - as it was a trusted device. I'd like to be able to trace what it was that accessed the files. The reason I suspect this is because my wife has access to the files on her Iphone (through the app) and it did not remove access for her until all trusted devices were deleted -  despite changes to security etc. 

Thanks

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@deplandscape wrote:

I can see which files were accessed at the time this began, through the file activity. Is there any way of finding what the device was that moved the folders?

Your Events page and the version history of a file is all the information that's available.

Also keep in mind that changing your account's password will not prevent access from devices that are already linked to your account, and changing the password doesn't break the link. Once a device is linked, it uses a secure token, and not your password, to communicate. The only way to prevent a linked device from connecting is to remove it from your account.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @deplandscape, thanks for reaching to our Community.

You should be able to access this info through our version history feature.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@deplandscape wrote:

Your Events page and the version history of a file is all the information that's available.

Also keep in mind that changing your account's password will not prevent access from devices that are already linked to your account, and changing the password doesn't break the link. Once a device is linked, it uses a secure token, and not your password, to communicate. The only way to prevent a linked device from connecting is to remove it from your account.

Need more support?